In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

30-30 Reloading

reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
Whats a good load for a 30-3- mrlin 336 I wand to use a 170 gr bullet and come in at factory performance or a little better. For the amount I will shoot this gun I probably won't save any mony but if I can improve accuracy and maybe performane its worth it to me.

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    reddnek,

I know this isn't what you want to read but I will continue to tell folks that in all the testing that I've done with the 30-30 Win. in several rifles and a couple of Contenders (14"), I have yet to get the consistancy of results as I get from the Remington factory 170 gr. Core-Lokts. I know, blasphemy!

I was convinced that I could handload the very best combination and improve my accuracy significantly. Well it ain't necessarily so. But I will pass on that the Accurate Arms website has a couple of very good loads for the 30-30 using 170 gr. bullets and either 2015 or 2230, my preference being 2015.

If you usually stock the more traditional powders, I tested IMR-3031 with good results also. Their website has good load information for starters.

Good luck and if you happen to arrive at any amazing results, please let us know!

Best.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't remmember the exact load off the top of my head but we have had good luck using Hodgdon BLC(2). I really don't know if this is comparable to the factory load as we use this in our old Winchester 94's mostly for plinking.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best accuracy I have got from a 30-30 was with Sierra 125 grain bullets.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know when the new Hornady bullet will be out for loading? I have about 500 hundred rounds that need loaed, but I have been holding out for the Hornady.
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a 150 grain bullet over 30 grains of 3031. Easy to rembember: 30-30 30 grains 3031! Not maximum but a good shooting load. It is usually impossible to improve 30-30 accuracy over that of factory ammunition in a 30-30 because the design of the guns normally chambered for that cartridge is a much greater factor in the accuracy formula than any variation in load. If the gun is only capable of, say, 2MOA, you can't reduce that by handloading. If you were to chamber a high quality bolt action for 30-30 then you could likely do some load development that would improve things, but what would be the point?
  • b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a 184 cast bullet with gas check using 4227 powder and its deadly as you would want.
  • rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hello;
    32.0 gr. ww748, speed 2065fps; 30.0. h335, same speed (bullets used are speer and hornady). factory 170 gr. bullet speed from a marlin 336 was 1925fps. had good luck with 2400 powder and 180gr. cast (rcbs) and a 195 gr. cast bullet (lee). only issue was finding a die that resizes the 30/30 case to fit my marlins. found an old c.h. resizing die that worked.

rp
  • SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've found the IMR 3031 and a 150 grain bullet to be exceptional in my rifle.
    Give those new Hornady Lever revelutions a try, performance like that would be hard to beat by handloading.