In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I need some advice

00scoots00scoots Member Posts: 410 ✭✭
I am in need of buying a reloading press. I don't know which brands may have short comings to avoid.

I probably won't be loading more than 2k rounds a year, mostly rifle and a wildcat that I have Redding dies for. I've been looking at Hornady, Lyman, RCBS, Dilllon, ..... the list goes on and on. I'll be buying an entire "kit" (scale, case trimmer, .....). What do you guys recommend?

Comments

• FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always liked Lyman but one thing to consider is the volume you may be reloading in the future. Then I would lean towards a Dillion. But then some guys have 6 or 8 different ones they use and have setup all the time. I know, it's clear as mud for choices[:D][;)][:I]
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I would take a look at the Rock Chucker Supreme Press Master Kit. It sells for about $250. Companies such as Midway have them.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Personally, the Rock Chucker should be the conerstone of a loading bench.
    That press will last a lifetime...and your boys, also. One can do about it all with it...save high production loading...and that is something best left till one becomes proficient with loading.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rockchucker master kit will do everything you want and then some.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Lee Classic Cast this year and it is one of the better presses I have used.
  • ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I just bouhgt a Rock Chucker supreme it is an awsome press I like it so much that I am going to buy another one and ditch my rcbs reloades special buy one you will not regret it![;)]
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a Rock Chucker for better than 12 years now. I avg about 2k rounds per year. It's still going strong.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    I average 5K per year. I use the Rock Chucker for anything larger than my 17 Rem, 204 Ruger, & 223 (because these dies are mounted in a 6 hole Lyman turret press (an old one).

Still load 2K on the RC.

If I had a choice....I would buy a Forster CoAx - adjust your dies once and can swap them out in 5 seconds without changing the adjustment.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Forgot one item on the Forster CoAx - NO SHELL HOLDERS either!
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see a few posts about which press to get when starting reloading. I don't think is makes much difference which make as much as what style. I really like my turret press better than the single stage.

The other things are just are important and almost as expensive. Scale, powder measure, case trimmer, priming tool.

For most reloading I do just about any press will do but a powder measure that does not give consistent charges would have to be sold or trashed. I have more than 5 different priming tools and I finally think I have one I can stick with. It is the one by Lee that has the disk type primer flipper/feed and the shell holders that slide in and out.

Tim
  • fairlanegt390fairlanegt390 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a rockchucker kit compleat that is in the box i will sell for $200 plus shipping. it was my brothers and he sold his guns before he got to use it. it is the same kit that is selling at cabelas for 260 let me know.
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Rockchucker kit, comes with manual and all. I think $270