In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.270 rem favorite bullet

What are your favorite bullets for reloading in the 270 for deer? Would you go with the nosler accubond or the barnes?

Comments

• surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornady 130gr SST.[:D] Very Good for deer OR should say bad [xx(]

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Favorite for deer is discontinued Win Open Point Expanding. It has a very sturdy jacket with an open, hollowed point that collapses on impact. If I'm also going to see larger game, but want to carry only the 270, I'll load up some 130 grain Bitterroot Bonded Cores.
  • BigoledudeBigoledude Member Posts: 39
    edited November -1
    I shot my share of deer over the years with Sierra's 130 grain SBT. The damage that 130 gr. bullet caused, was the reason most of the .270 shooters at our hunting camp switched to the Sierra 130 SBT.

Several men even swiched to .270 caliber. Especially the smaller guys who were tired of heavy recoil. We had a really nice range at our camp, and many of us enjoyed shooting holes in paper all weekend in addition to the hunting. Sierra bullets eventually won just about everyone over with their accuracy. The .270 is plenty enough gun to chill even the largest white tail, but still enjoyable enough to shoot several boxes a weekend without needing shoulder rehab.

We had a guy who shot everything in the neck. He used the sierra 110 grain SPT. Whenever folks came back from a hunt with him, they would be freaking on how the deer never even twitched. It takes a confident shooter to shoot-the-neck.

I wouldn't have traded or sold any of my other rifles; 25-06, 7mm MAG, 6.5X55, 30-06. But, just like everyone else who owns one, my Browning A-Bolt .270 was special. Katrina took 'em all!

If God is on my side, who can come against me!
  • roysclockgunroysclockgun Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bigoledude did write: "I shot my share of deer over the years with Sierra's 130 grain SBT"

I agree, concerning the Sierra 130gr SBT. I have lost count on the number of whitetail deer that have gone right down, when hit with that bullet. Also 9 heavy mule deer that I killed in Wyoming either went down immediately, or took a few steps before falling. Excellent performance. I do not believe in going to the more expensive bullets until you are after heavier animals, such as elk. To hunt elk with a .270Win, one is better served by a bullet that holds together, even after penetrating a lot of tissue and glancing off some bone.

roysclockgun
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In your question you reference the Barnes bullets. That would be my choice for all hunting ammo. I shoot them exclusivly in my 30 calibers and also load them in 270 and 7mm.
    My friend shoots the 270 with 140gr TSX for white tail and elk. He has taken 3 elk and 9 white tail all with one shot kills and most went right down including 2 of the elk.
    My loads have seemed to do better as far as accuracy with the barnes as well. Before that I shot Speer, Sierra, and Hornady. Not that I was disappointed with them, but have done better with the Barnes. My 308 and 30-06 with a 150gr TSX, as well as the 270 and 7mm that belong to friends under 1 MOA.
  • jasonjenningsjasonjennings Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your opinions guys! I think I may try a variety of projectiles when I start working up a load for the new gun.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats the best idea posted yet... Not all guns like the same load! My in-laws 2 308's do not like the TSX load that my pre '64 mod 70 likes. Try all you can, and use what works.
  • roysclockgunroysclockgun Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has anyone else noticed the title of this thread? Is the ".270 rem" something new?

roysclockgun
  • ironquackerironquacker Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the 140 grain Nosler B.T.,and 51.5 grains of IMR4350. Getting around 2800FPS. I haven't had to track a deer yet.

slwhitfield
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have tried many bullets,but have had best results on deer with Sierra Pro-Hunter 130 grain.Nosler 130 BTs were very accurate,but I think I had them loaded too fast(3100fps) and had to blood trail a lot of deer.
  • swatkins13swatkins13 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ballistic silver tips are all I use. The entrance hole is smaller but the exit hole, well, you could stick your hand in.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Sierra 130 SBT also. It shoots flatter than a lot of other bullets and has great accuracy.
  • jasonjenningsjasonjennings Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to bore you guys with the old 270 cartridge, just never reloaded it for myself. Just got the gun last year an am trying it out this year for the first time. Thanks jj
  • 2BGood2BGood Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well,,as mentioned in an earlier post,,some guns like differant bullets and weights. However,,Nosler partition and Barns are of great hunting quality and you wont go wrong with either. I like the Hornady brand as well,,all have shot very well for me.
    I might add the 130 grn has a sectional density of 242 and the 150 grn is 279. I dont thin you will be unhappy with any of the bullets mentioned,,,all are of great quality,,find one your gun likes and practice.
  • jbjm04jbjm04 Member Posts: 263 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how about the old pre speer 140 gr bear claws.
  • b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    150 grain sierria round nose !
  • david mcintyredavid mcintyre Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Ruger likes the flat base bullets. Hornady, or Speer, Sierra. The cheaper the better. I have some old Rem bronze tips that are very accurate in this rifle, but that is as close to a premium bullet as I get. For a deer rifle it's all i need and a 100 bullets a box versus 50 is the way to go.
  • MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My most accurate bullet for my .270 is the Speer 150 gr flat base spitzer...this has proven to be more accurate than any boat tail design. It is good for Deer and Elk both.