In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stop bullets from slipping out of neck!

I had a Ruger Mod 77 in .243 with an after-market Timney trigger installed. That little rifle was so accurate that my twin sons at 11 years old could bust clay pidgeons set flat on a piece of railroad track at 200 yards!

Here's the problem. That set of RCBS dies would not properly size the necks enough to hold tightly to the sierra bullets. Sometimes the cartriges would come apart in the magazine. I had a BAR in 30-06 where the rough treatment of the semi-auto would cause the bullets to fall out.

I have a new Marlin 1894 .44 magnum in the mail. I would like to be able to eliminate this problen if it shows up. What do I do?

If God is on my side, who can come against me!

Comments

• rollnblockrollnblock Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    B O D If im not mistaking the 44 mag has a roll crimp to hold the bullet in. whent reloading you have to screw the die in just a touch futher to make the roll crimp. shoulddnt have any problem after that
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like the expander plug is too large on the rifle calibers. Are you lubing the inside of the case mouth? You can chuck the de-cap rod in a drill and remove a couple of thousandths using fine emery cloth. That will help with neck tension.

Some brass, like Remington tend to have thinner necks. Try a different brass brand to see if that helps.

Pistols reloading sets have three dies. The bullet seating die has a roll crimp built in. When using lead bullets put a heavy crimp on the round. They will not move under recoil.

Good luck.
  • SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load both the .243 and 30/06 with RCBS dies and haven't had a lick of trouble. I always full length size because most of my loads are for hunts and it gives me an added secure feeling. If you are sure your dies are adjusted correctly and that there is no accumulated junk on your expander plug then send those dies back to RCBS with a description of the problem and those guys will fix it they are great to deal with.
  • heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

You can also obtain a Lee factory crimp die for rifle or pistol calibers.

The Lee factory crimp die is made to squeeze the very edge of the case mouth around the bullet shank either with or without a cannelure. The die is used on the last reloading step. This makes the pull on the bullets extremely extremely tight and consistant. I use one of these for my Ruger bolt action and it works great.

The factory crimp die for pistol rounds is also great and can be used on the 4th station on a progressive press. Not only is the crimp tight, but the die will resize the cartridge to proper chamber dimensions. I use one of these for 45 ACP and it really works.

Regards,

Heavyiron
  • jbjm04jbjm04 Member Posts: 263 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had a bullet coming out problem with a rem 00 30-06. My problem was bullets were seated out too long, not leaving enough for the case to hold on to.