In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Going to start, thanks for the advice.

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
I've decided I'm going to go with it and start the great american past-time.....reloading. Mainly for my 40 S&W, father-in-laws 357/38, and I'll try a friend's 6.5JAP.

I decided to go with the Lee Anniversary kit which has everything including the Challenger Press.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&id=0003080210524a&navCount=3&podId=0003080&parentId=cat20847&navAction=push&catalogCode=XF&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20847&hasJS=true

My wife is getting(letting me order) me everything I need to start reloading, for my 22nd birthday in March. Including powder, primers, ammo storage boxes, and bullets. I can find brass at a local shop for much cheaper than online.

I have one last question: on the item description it says....
"The shell holders included in this kit function with the Lee Auto-Prime tool only. Shell holders for use in the press with reloading dies are not included."
Can anyone elaborate a little.

Which of these dies do I need to purchase for the 40S&W? I'm confused between a couple.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?rid=&indexId=cat20847&navAction=push&navCount=22&cmCat=noValue&parentType=index&parentId=cat20847&id=0012803

Thanks to everyone(especially Dave W, Chunkstyle, and Divecop) who gave me their advice. I'm looking forward to getting started and will let everyone know how it goes.
Thanks again!
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cubslover,

This is a shellholder:

Thumb_shellholder.jpg

Each piece of brass fits into the shellholder and controls (aligns) it while a particular operation is conducted.

Evidently, Lee requires 2-sets of these for their kit:

1 - set for the AutoPrimer.
    1 - set for the reloading press.

The set for the AutoPrime comes with your kit but you still have to get individual shellholders or a set of 11 shellholders for use on your press. Does that make sense?

Best.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Each caliber/case family has a shell holder specifically made to fit that case. Some shell holders are used for different calibers, but share the same dimensions - example - .270 and 30.06 - same dimensions on the primer/rim end of the case.

Some calibers do not share shell holders - there are some oddballs out there.

I realize you are trying to save a buck or two, but above all, buy a couple of reloading manuals or at least download from IMR, RCBS, Hornady, etc, on the web. PLEASE purchase a manual as well. I constantly refer to mine - I have SIX of them. From 1959 to 2006!!
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice!!!
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for the dies get the carbide 4 die set. i did not see a case tumbler and media separater in your list,get both,all brands work fine.if your trying to cut cost get the cheapest you can find.