In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A strange question...

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is a strange question, I know, but how could you turn brass black in color for finished ammo?
A friend approached me and asked bout loading him ammo in black cases for fast and easy identification. He had ideas of heat, chemical, and coatings to turn the brass different colors but I was skeptical any of them would work. Am I close minded or correct in thinking that there is no way to color brass black?

Comments

• Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Hmmm...well..if you leave them at the outdoor range...for ...say...two years...

Seriously, I do not know of a safe way to complete his task.

If he wants brass that is easy to identify, simply collect up ALL of his brass and paint a pink stripe around the rim of the case. NOBODY will pick up his brass. Use finger nail polish - VERY good paint.
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    machinest ? (sp) dye or ink spray the brass with the color you select let it dry it leaves a dry film about .001" tk and will come off in the tumbler
    that is what i on pistol brass for USPSA matches
    or just get a magic marker and color the bottoms your brass your color
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I DON'T KNOW IF BROWNELLS STILL HAS THIS BUT THEY USED TO HAVE A PRODUCT CALLED 'BRASS BLACK' FOR TURNING BRAISED AND SILVER SOLDERED JOINTS BLACK.
  • Options
    stankempstankemp Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use hydrogen sulfide. Hold your nose!
    Stan
  • Options
    young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hornady TAP ammo's brass is black I believe
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Do guys use different colors of brass in matches like shootlow is referring to to make sure they get their brass back after shooting during the match?

Is there a certain time during the match when you pick up your brass?
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can also buy Black steel finish, Works great for putting a patina on brass & bronze.

You can get some real cool finishes with the tons of patinas out there.
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    at club matches some * brass while others tape and score
    if you go to some matches it is a lost brass match have a buddy get your brass when they score and do the same for him
  • Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wal-mart has casey,s brass black tks.hedge