In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

30-30 win load for beginners

This is a pet load for my 30-30. I only recommend it for bolt action, single shot or pistol as it uses pointed bullets. It works well to manage recoil for new shooters.

31 gr Hodgdon Varget
130 gr Hornady SP

Comments

• j3081j3081 Member Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hi,,,mine is 28.7 grains of imr 4198,,,125 grain sierra spt #2120,,,trim to 2.029 inches,,,c.o.l. 2.770,,,shot out a t.c. 14 inch barrel at 2,327 f.p.s.,,,i get .75 inch groups at 100 yrds with this load,,,j3081[:)]
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a 170 grain lead bullet w/gas check...because I got a super eal on a bunch of them....and 'stoked' with 10 grains of Unique.
    makes a great little plinker load,and accurate too.
    turns the boomers in to a real ice creamcat.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a load with 110 gr(bullets) M1 carbine plinkers and single load them in a 94 for the kids.[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by B17-P51
    I use a load with 110 gr(bullets) M1 carbine plinkers and single load them in a 94 for the kids.[:D]
    hi B17-P51,,,i don't how old you children are but when you think they are responsible enough ,i'd start teaching them the facts about shooting pointed bullets out of a win 94.using pointed bullets are perfectly safe in the 94 providing 1 bullet is placed in the chamber and the second in the magazine tube,,,THATS IT,,,ONLY 1 BULLET IN THE CHAMBER AND THE SECOND IN THE MAGAZINE TUBE,,,IT IS DANGEROUS OR DEADLY TO PUT MORE THAN ONE IN THE TUBE.teach them that until you are blue in the face and feel safe with their understanding.i was taught this 40 years ago when i was 12 years old,i am now 52 and still use the same 94 that was given to me,never had to use the second round though and never had to buy another deer rifle.pointed bullets are much more accurate in the 30-30 or 35 rem caliber especially if you reload.thank you,,,j3081
  • bk_punisherbk_punisher Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    now that were talking about 30-30 levers.
    ive got a marlin. (wish it was a 94) but it still does it job.
    but i was wondering if anyone knew because of the micro-grooving is it for the best? I shot some lead rounds with no luck. there all over the place. maybe it was my load but I just got 500 rds of military traces and was thinking of loading for (a little more) accurcy. I no there pulled ammo not to expect alot. but any advice will help
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bk_punisher
    but i was wondering if anyone knew because of the micro-grooving is it for the best? I shot some lead rounds with no luck. there all over the place. maybe it was my load but I just got 500 rds of military traces and was thinking of loading for (a little more) accurcy. I no there pulled ammo not to expect alot. but any advice will help
    hi BK,,,the 30-30 round whether shot from a 94 or a 336 can be the most accurate gun you own,,,however your choice of bullets is numbing,,,the 30-30 round can shoot circles around the 30-06,300 savage if loaded properly,,,lead rounds,all they do is fill your barrels twist making it almost like a smoothbore,,,my advice,,,totally clean the bore out with a lead cleaning cleaner,,,load up some sierra 150 gr. spitzers,#2130 with 27 grains of imr 4198,clocked at 2200 fps out of my 94,,,1 inch groups at 100 yards,,,and note,,,1 inch high is perfect from 50 yards to 225 yards,use the pulled tracers for another firearm,,,hoped i helped [:D][:D][:D],,,j3081
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by j3081
    quote:Originally posted by bk_punisher
    hi BK,,,the 30-30 round whether shot from a 94 or a 336 can be the most accurate gun you own,,,however your choice of bullets is numbing,,,the 30-30 round can shoot circles around the 30-06,300 savage if loaded properly,,,lead rounds,all they do is fill your barrels twist making it almost like a smoothbore,,,my advice,,,totally clean the bore out with a lead cleaning cleaner,,,load up some sierra 150 gr. spitzers,#2130 with 27 grains of imr 4198,clocked at 2200 fps out of my 94,,,1 inch groups at 100 yards,,,and note,,,1 inch high is perfect from 50 yards to 225 yards,use the pulled tracers for another firearm,,,hoped i helped [:D][:D][:D],,,j3081

Just to add something here. If you do decide to load spitzer-type bullets in your 30-30, make sure you load them one at a time into the action. These rounds in a tubular magazine could be dangerous. The bullet in one round could detonate the primer of the round in front of it. I have never seen this happen personally, but it is a common warning.
    edited November -1
    hi,,,that was already said[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by j3081
    hi,,,that was already said[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Yeah, I see that now. Sorry.
    To add something useful now, I have heard Hornady is going to start selling their LeveRevolution bullets as components. Those are spitzer bullets that safe for tubular mags. [;)]
  • bk_punisherbk_punisher Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thx for the info. So save the tracers and clean the barrel.
  • gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tripping over this post was perfect for me. I have handloaded for my Marlin 336 in 30-30 to develop my 'sweet round'. My nephew is just getting interested in shooting. He uses my 39A often. When he asked to fire the 30-30, he found it was a bit too much for him. I might like to try loading some lighter 85 to 100gr (pistol) bullets. The load would obviously light, the bullets are fmj but are 'flat nosed' and wouldn't threaten the primer of the next round.

I'm asking before testing because these bullets could have a longer 'free jump' (leade ?) to the rifling. Does anyone have any experiences they can share about loading these shorter bullets ?

Thank You
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotstole- the freebore does not seem to affect the accuracy enough to make any practical difference. These are just fun loads to get kids out to shoot without getting beat up. Cans and clay targets are dead meat from 50 yds or so. As an aside, personally I would rather shoot 20 rounds fron my Model 700 300 wsm than 20 full house 30-30 180 gr rounds from my 94. My shoulder and cheekbone get sore from the fit of the 94.