In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Why a dearth of 32 acp data?

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
Most every manual I check has data for 2 or 3 powders for a 71 gr jacketed bullet. That's it. Now I know the 32 acp is no hellfire round, but it has been around like, forever. And there are a number of bullet molds out there that drop an 85 to 90 gr lead bullet in the proper diameter. I have worked out my own loads using bullseye and red dot (which aren't listed in many manuals) but like I say, what gives? Why is there a dearth of data for this round? It is a fun little plinker.

Comments

• PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    My Lyman manual lists 9 different powders for lead 32 acp loads. It takes a fairly fast burning powder and there are not a great number of different fast burning pistol powders.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two reasons I can see are popularity, and case capacity.

Although there are a lot of .32 ACP pistols out there. In my experience, most of the folks who have them, either don't know what reloading is, or wouldn't be interested.

Case capacity is so limited that only a relatively few powders can be safely used. A person with little knowledge of reloading and powder burning rates would be dancing on thin ice, by loading to much of a very fast burning powder. This has legal liability implications, that the loading manual publishers want to distance themselves from. My 2A?.
  • non mortuusnon mortuus Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Modern Reloading, second edition by richard lee
    has five bullet weights, two lead, two jacketed, and a XTP bullet (???)
    weights running from 71 to 85. However only the 71 has more than one or two powders listed at 12.