In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reloading Beginner

Nanate25Nanate25 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
Hello all. I want to start loading and have never even seen it done. I'm wondering what all I will need other than the bullets, shells, powder and primers. The tools I guess. Any good links for starters? Thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Hello,
    Go to Midway usa, Graf & son or Huntingtons and look for Lee starter kits, they will have the press, scales, priming tools and dies to get you started. Buy reloading handbooks from more than one powder or bullet mfg, buy a Handloaders Digest, it will give you a step by step how to. Good luck.
    W.D.
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what do u want to reload ? pistol,rifle,shotgun? all of them?
    pistol is much easier to start with than eiher rifel or shotgun.
    shotgun takes a dedicated press,rifle and pistol can usually be done on the same press,just buy different dies.
    My go-to book has always been Lyman's metallic cartridge realoding manual.
  • Nanate25Nanate25 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey thanks for the info so far. Mort: I'll be reloading 30-06 at first. Might reload some 6.5 carcano shells too. What is the cheapest way to start with to get everything I need?
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    You can also check out the RCBS starter kits. It will depend on how much you want to spend on one. Like the others said, get some good manuals and a book.
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    before you do a thing, get yourself a Lyman or other well known reloading book and read it cover to cover. After that, decide on a press that will fit your budget. I would suggest an RCBS Rockchucker, wish I had started with that one. If not, any single stage would be a good starting point. I like http://forums.handloads.com/, some good info there.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    A Lee Anniversary kit plus a set of Lee RGB 06 dies and the powder, primers, bullets, and brass will get you started for under $120. Heck if you want some brass I have buckets of it- just pay postage and I'll send you some 06 brass. Once and twice fired GI surplus, good for at least 2-3 more loadings, a lot more in a bolt action.
    edited November -1
    Awesome. I just found it on kempf for $75 and then the dies. I might can sell my Rem 742 for that much! You guys are a lot of help here. Thanks everyone.
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you abosisterely MUST lube rifle cases before sizing them.
    You will read about this in the book(s) you buy,but it is THE thing to remember about rifle reloading.
    That and a hundred other things. :)

If you can afford a better press,the Rockchuker has way more 'oomph' than the lee challenger...by far.
    It is not one for 'on the cheap',but it will NEVER BREAK OR WEAR OUT.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mort. I will stick with the cheap way for now just to get the feel of things. I'm sure I'll upgrade stuff after I get the hang of it. I just want to get started for now. I've read good things about the Rockchuker though.

So who are the better place to get brass, bullets, primer and powder from? And what are a few ideas on what powder and primer to use? I have found a few places but I want to know what you pros prefer. Thanks again guys.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nanate25, welcome

When ordering Powder and primers via internet they are ship as Explosive. there is a $20 haxmat fee that is added to every order of powder and primers. some dealers allow you to combined the hazmat fee and others will not. in order to make your online order cost effective you have to order as much as you can afford.

I suggest you start buy going to a local sporting goods store buy 1lb of powder and a few hundred primers. Use the published load data (or recipe as some would call it) in your manual that you have to chose a powder and primer for the cartridge you chose to start with. same with bullets use the bullet that is used in the "recipe".

once you get the jist of it, you can then look to buy in bulk. Powders, primers and bullets can also be had at pretty good prices at gun shows.

good luck
  • fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to the NRA web site and try and find a Certified Reloading Instructor in your area. They offer a course in Reloading that will get you started the right way, the safe Way.
  • knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A reloading video will help alot.
  • konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You soon will see just how deep the rabbit hole goes....haha!
  • scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look like you've gotten some good advice on this subject already. Here's some suggestions I make to guys just starting out.

1. start with a single stage press. a turret type will be O.K. but I know how much goes on with a progressive and think it's safer to start with a single stage press.

2. "Batch" Load. This means take a specific number of cases and perform each "step" on all cases before going to the next step. This allows you to inspect your cases between each step!

3. If your loading pistol rounds buy a carbide die set!

4. invest in a good powder measure and scale. you do not have to buy the latest greatest electronic stuff.

5. Heres the most important suggestion I can give you: Primers are dangerous! Treat them with care and you will think I'm a "worry wort" Throw a handful in a glass jar and shake them up a bit and they'll call you "Lefty"!

A good reloading book such as Lymans, ABC's of reloading, or Lee's Modern reloading are a must have. The suggestion to find an NRA reloading instructor is your best suggestion If you can find one.

As far as components are concerned? Check the gun shows in the area, ask the gun store you do business with, and always check the bulletin board at you local range.[8D]
  • e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nanate25,
    If your going to be reloading the 6.5 Carcano go to Graf and Sons and get the Hornady Carcano dies and bullets. The Carcano shoots a .268 diameter bullet not the more common .264. Hornady and Graf and Sons have teamed up to offer the correct reloading supplies for this odd ball round. The Hornady dies have the correct .268 expander ball. The RCBS, Lee and others have the .264. Believe me .004 makes a big difference in accuracy.
  • adisonrainadisonrain Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nanate25,
    I've been loading les than a year (30-06, .280 Rem, 7mm-08 and 222), I bought the LEE aniversary kit and it came with the manual and load data. Very good instructions. I too, have never even seen someone reload and my groups are around .75 moa. Could be better with practice but I was amazed at the results. That kit paid for itself in no time. Only thing I had to buy extra was the Collet Dies, Crimp tools and trim tools for each cal. Good luck!