In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How To: 30/338 brass

NSALLEENSALLEE Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Can anyone please tell me what I need in order to reform 338 magnum brass down to 30/338 please? Is there a special dies that I can buy? Any info would be helpful.

Comments

• HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    As usual, nononsense has come and set me straight. Thank you. I was not aware.

And as he pointed out, a neck sizing die is what you need. He recommends the Hornady, I recommend the Redding bushing style. The only reason I would go with Redding over the Hornady is because you can customize the die to get the neck tension that you want (i.e. go up or down in .001 increments).
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NSALLEE,

You need to get a Hornady Neck Sizing Die and some Imperial Sizing Wax:

30 CAL MAG

Neck sizing with this die can eliminate problems of excessive head space, and align the bullet perfectly with the bore, resulting in better accuracy and longer case life. Should only be used for bolt-action rifle cases. Auto-loading, lever and pump action rifles usually require full-length resizing. Accepts new Mag and Short Mag calibers.

NECK SIZE DIE Product #046057

neck_size_die_Hornady.jpg

Best.

HandgunHTR52,

No, the two cases are different with the .300 Win. Mag. being 0.120" longer and having a shorter neck.

NSALLEE is basically making the .308 Norma Mag. in the guise of the 30-338 Winchester target cartridge.

30-338 Winchester Magnum

Historical Notes:

"This cartridge was developed specifically for use in 1000 yard benchrest competition. It was created by simply necking the 338 Winchester Magnum to 30 caliber and almost exactly duplicates the 308 Norma Magnum (Norma's commercial offering has slightly less case taper and is slightly longer).

General Comments:

The 30-338 Winchester Magnum fills a void in Winchester's Magnum line, created when Winchester introduced the 300 Magnum. The 264 Winchester Magnum, 338 Winchester Magnum, and 458 Winchester Magnum all share a 2.5 inch case length. Evidently to avoid direct competition with existing 308 Norma Magnum and to better compete with the well established, and substantially longer, 300 Weatherby Magnum, Winchester opted to increase case length and push the shoulder forward on their new 30 caliber magnum (actual usable capacity increase was marginal). The Wildcat 30-338 is likely exactly what Winchester would have offered had Norma not beaten them to the punch. Ballistics are very similar to the 300 Winchester Magnum, despite the slight reduction in powder capacity. Compared to that commercial chambering, a slightly longer case neck provides superior purchase for longer bullets."

Source: Cartridges of the World

Best.
  • NSALLEENSALLEE Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    NSALLEE,

You need to get a Hornady Neck Sizing Die and some Imperial Sizing Wax:

30 CAL MAG

Neck sizing with this die can eliminate problems of excessive head space, and align the bullet perfectly with the bore, resulting in better accuracy and longer case life. Should only be used for bolt-action rifle cases. Auto-loading, lever and pump action rifles usually require full-length resizing. Accepts new Mag and Short Mag calibers.

NECK SIZE DIE Product #046057

neck_size_die_Hornady.jpg

Best.

HandgunHTR52,

No, the two cases are different with the .300 Win. Mag. being 0.120" longer and having a shorter neck.

NSALLEE is basically making the .308 Norma Mag. in the guise of the 30-338 Winchester target cartridge.

30-338 Winchester Magnum

Historical Notes:

"This cartridge was developed specifically for use in 1000 yard benchrest competition. It was created by simply necking the 338 Winchester Magnum to 30 caliber and almost exactly duplicates the 308 Norma Magnum (Norma's commercial offering has slightly less case taper and is slightly longer).

General Comments:

The 30-338 Winchester Magnum fills a void in Winchester's Magnum line, created when Winchester introduced the 300 Magnum. The 264 Winchester Magnum, 338 Winchester Magnum, and 458 Winchester Magnum all share a 2.5 inch case length. Evidently to avoid direct competition with existing 308 Norma Magnum and to better compete with the well established, and substantially longer, 300 Weatherby Magnum, Winchester opted to increase case length and push the shoulder forward on their new 30 caliber magnum (actual usable capacity increase was marginal). The Wildcat 30-338 is likely exactly what Winchester would have offered had Norma not beaten them to the punch. Ballistics are very similar to the 300 Winchester Magnum, despite the slight reduction in powder capacity. Compared to that commercial chambering, a slightly longer case neck provides superior purchase for longer bullets."

Source: Cartridges of the World

Best.

So, you are telling me that with my 338 brass all I need to do is resize the neck with this die and trim the case length? Somehow I thought it would be a little more complicated than that. Thanks for the info.