In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

air tank refill???

sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
well since we have the forum I'll ask a question.I live in a small town in northern Arkansas,there is no where within 50 miles to get an air recharge.Most the kids around here "my son included" use the paintball guns that take co2 cartridge like goes in a pellet gun.I have been asked by several of the local boys who shoot with us "I have a rifle range at my house" to set up a recharge station so they can get better paintball guns.What do I need to do this and where would I purchase the needed equipment.

Comments

• rediceredice Member Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im just guesing but you probably pick up the co2 tanks at a welding supply shop and just order the regulators etc online.
  • ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sharpshooter,

You can get the tanks at the local welding supply shop like Redice incated and the fill stations for paintball gun CO2 Tanks can be found online. I belive there is a specific way in filling the bigger CO2 tanks so you may want to look into the safety aspect of it. You do not want to get sued by some kids parent blowing up a 20oz bottle of CO2 on your property.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    CO2-bottles have a burst-disk, or at least should have.
    So if they are rechargeable, the burst disk will blow way before the bottle will if they're filled up too much.

The burst disk is a safe way for the bottle to dispose of it's charge without it being too dangerous - the gasses can't escape fast enough to harm people, but escapes fast enough so the bottle doesn't blow.

CO2 is a liquid - and as with all liquids it will expand with rising temperatures.
    When a bottle with with a liquid gas is heated, the pressure rises, some of the gas condenses - when the pressure is high enough, there will be no more compressible gas to condence and you have a bottle that is totally filled with liquid-gas.

When the temperature just shoots up one degree after that point - the presure rises fast, as liquid is not compressible.

You don't need a regulator as such - but what you need is a way to connect the two bottles, preferably by a thin hoze or a direct link.

Then you need to weigh the empty bottle and write that on the bottle.
    Find the papers or inscription on that bottle, add the "CO2 content" to the weight of the empty bottle - and never fill up to more than that or you will risk a blows burst disk.

To fill the bottle, it is easiest to cool it down, preferably freeze it, as this will ease the transfer.
    As gas expands from one pressure to a lower pressure, it evaporates and gets cold, but this happens in the bottle you fill up from.
    When a gas is compressed, it developes heat - so if the small bottle is hot and getting hotter from the fillingprocess, you won't be able to transfer as much liquid.

I've been doing this for a living with O2 and CO2 tanks on the hospital.

With O2 or air, which is a gas at all times - you need a regulator.
    With CO2, you need to weigh the bottle as empty and add the "Payload" or "CO2 Charge". This will give the maximum allowed total weight and thereby max total charge.

So all in all, you would need a big tank of CO2..

A "Filling-station" like you can see here..
    http://www.doropaintball.com/AB1038101EQuick/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=349&cat=Fill+Stations

And a precise way of measuring the bottles.

polarbear.gif
    Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.

The only way to get stoned??? - Whisky on the rocks.!!
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    What you might need, if it's air they're using - is a SCUBA/Diving tank.

That holds a big amount of air - a regulator to put on the SCUBA-tank and you're set.

You can probably get some used SCUBA tanks somewhere - or try the local firedepartment, SCUBA tanks and smokedivers equipment is just about the same.

High pressure air stored in 2-3 gallon tanks.

polarbear.gif
    Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.

The only way to get stoned??? - Whisky on the rocks.!!
  • nocagesnocages Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some guns shoot oxygen, some Co2 , some nitrogen just depends. Co2 is most common, but if you're in a cold weather climate, co2 turns to liquid quick and can spray mistinto barrel , When a gun is not shooting dry it can break balls easier

hdball.gifGod Speed With All Of Our Troops~
  • robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    Oxygen and nitro is more expensive to fill and play with as far as start-up goes but is cheaper and holds more shots in the long run.

CO2 is the most common source for paintball guns, however. As long as a decent expansion chamber is used liquid C02 is not an issue. You're best bet is to talk to some professionals but the rough way to go about it is to find an industrial gas store to get a large C02 tank. Then buy a scale and a filling station. The station hooks to the tank and the scale is to be sure you don't overfill the tanks (burst discs work fine and good but you're going to want to know how to do it right).

Another good idea would be to go to a paintball field and see if they'll train you in how to do it.

Hope this helps...[^]

signew.JPG
    aniGif.gif
    "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."

Visit
    http://www.cafepress.com/RightToBearArms for great Second Amendment Merchandise!
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    find the company that delivers gas cylinders to your local hospital, welding shop etc. get an account set up and they will deliver a full co2 tank and cart the empty one away upon request. round here, a full tank, big one, maybe an "m" sized tank but not sure, is like 60-75 bucks.

as far as weighing and such, although there is probably pages and poages of contradictory data, i know someone that does exactly what yoru talking about and he doesnt weigh his tanks. hooks the big tank to the little one, opens some valves and fills the tank. might not be perfectly full, but it works for him. he has to have his tanked switched maybe like 3/4 times a year.

--Laws too gentle are seldom obeyed; too severe, seldom executed--

--The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them--

--It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind--
  • silver6silver6 Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sharpshooter Im not going to get into it because you can go on forever but choice of gas to use to power you marker is a very scientific choice based on your application and has not one answer to be had. So in short go to informative web sites and gather definative information based on fact. Can I suggest you start at www.ottersccustoms.com which I feel will provide the answers you require. Then maybe www.warpig.com. Just two of many sites I enjoy with a wealth of knowledge and will provide answers or links to answers and will provide a solid base to build on your quest for paintball know how.

If god meant for us to talk more than we listened he'd have given us one ear and two mouths- Vince Lombardi
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CO2 would be the cheapest way to go get a Tank with a drop tube (that is important) an in line filter to keep the crap out of the filling tank. A digital fish weight scale that will go above 5 lbs. (cheaper than those postal style scale) so you can see the weight of the 20 oz. tank (then add 20 oz. of CO2) and a fill station system with an on/off. After filling the tanks keep them away from heat and the sun since you'll bust the burst disc.

Nitrogen is more expensive than Compressed Air (not one of those mechanics storage tank will do since it doesn't hold enough pressure) One last thing SAFETY with any Tanked Gases chain them up/down so you don't break off the valve.

As for O2 never seen any one run with one of those (I'd sit and puff on those instead) NO2 would be better for that though.
  • splatzonesplatzone Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't get ANYTHING under a 50lb tank..

if you do it's not worth the money.. i pick up my tanks 180$ to buy and 20.00 to fill.. Fillstaions you can make you own also for about 10.00.. or buyone for 45

Jess Carroll
    Splat Zone Paintball
    7610 West Nob Hill #99
    Yakima WA 98908
    Http://splatzone.net
    509-574-5743
  • rassd71rassd71 Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Filling CO2 tanks without a scale is dangerous. A digital fish scale with a zero feature is less than $30. And well worth it.

Here is the specific instructions on otters page

http://www.ottersccustoms.com/filling.html

I have a question for Splatzone, where do you get the CGA 320 fitting? All the local welding shops won't sell them. It's too much of a liability issue. I have all the other fittings. Plus if you have a local welding supply that will deliver a 50 pound tank is the way to go.

I can get a 99 year lease on one locally for less than it would cost to buy and then you never have to worry about having the tank hydrotested. The other thing you want to make sure of with your bulk tank, is that it has a siphon tube. That way you will get the liquid and not mist into your small tanks.
    edited November -1
    i dont' use a scale at all.. tank isn't going to blow up.. it will blow the disk first

i got the fittings at my local welding shop

Jess Carroll
    Splat Zone Paintball
    7610 West Nob Hill #99
    Yakima WA 98908
    509-574-5743
    edited November -1
    i dont' use a scale at all.. tank isn't going to blow up.. it will blow the disk first

i got the fittings at my local welding shop

Jess Carroll
    Splat Zone Paintball
    7610 West Nob Hill #99
    Yakima WA 98908
    509-574-5743