In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

you chose paintball over gunsmithing?

bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
whats this world coming to! cant you at least put it in alphbetical order so we dont have to see it when we come online?[:D]
Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Former NSSA All American
Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
MO, CT, VA.

Comments

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    lmao!!!![:D][:D][:D]

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    Seems to be a nice gesture to attract some of the younger crowd. [^]

signew.JPG
    aniGif.gif
    "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."

Visit
    http://www.cafepress.com/RightToBearArms for great Second Amendment Merchandise!
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    maybe all the TROLLS, POSERS, UNDER AGE CHILDREN, and BOOK EDUCATED / NO EXPERIANCE flotsum will get sidetracked hear and leave the rest of us in peace.

[:D][:D][:D]

best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
    contact me at the shop at waltsgun@aol.com best regards, mike.
  • stevedz313stevedz313 Member Posts: 714 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    maybe all the TROLLS, POSERS, UNDER AGE CHILDREN, and BOOK EDUCATED / NO EXPERIANCE flotsum will get sidetracked hear and leave the rest of us in peace.

[:D][:D][:D]

best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
    [^][^]

flag.gif
    navylogo.gif
    awcountdown.gifhttp://www.awbansunset.com/awbGraphic.gif

logo2.gifwww.operationdearabby.net
  • ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075

Maybe I will, maybe I won't. [;)]

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -- Winston Churchill
  • thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what the kids spend for paintball guns and supplies, you would be well advised to learn to work on these markers. At one local
    shop, there is a $20 minimum just to evaluate a damaged marker. I often repair real firearms for less than that. By the way, some of the kids this old guy shoots paintball with have come back
    in later years (at legal age) to buy real guns. Some of them are excellent shots, having honed their skills at paintball.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i was taught to shoot with an actual gun.
    while i enjoy shooting sports and hunting, i do not "play" with my firearms. they are not toys...
    while PAINTBALL or AIRSOFT may introduce some people to "real" guns and shooting, i have some concerns that bad habits may be learned in this "sport" and cause problems later...

i think that there exists a large number of folks who paintball or airsoft who are legaly prevented from owning a firearm. i think that there are those enamoured with combat scenarios, military lore, and LEO personal who would never be accepted into the "brotherhood" due to criminal history or mental defect that congregate at these events...

on the other hand...
    teamwork can be learned here.
    leadership may be learned here.
    this may be a stepping stone on the way to "real" shooting sports.
    this may be a healthy outlet for those who do not or cannot particpate in other sports.
    it may be a healthy social outlet and a scource of friendship, community, and esprit de corps.

personal i think that MEN own GUNS
    and BOYS own TOYS...

im not realy knocking it, its just not my thing...

best regards, mike.

• silver6silver6 Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike. Dude, its a game. Simple as that. If someone who plays paintball can't seperate life and a game they have issues not bad habits.

If god meant for us to talk more than we listened he'd have given us one ear and two mouths- Vince Lombardi
  • splatzonesplatzone Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    and plus.. you can't get a Rush from going out and shoting a real gun.. i know i don't. unless i am shoting something really big..

and how many kids do you know that can go out and shot a gun without there parents ever weekend.. NONE..

as in the charge for shops.. i don't know a single shop that charges 20.00 just to find the problem.. i know in my store.. i can tell by what you tell me and by shoting it..and then tell you how much it will cost to fix

Jess Carroll
    Splat Zone Paintball
    7610 West Nob Hill #99
    Yakima WA 98908
    Http://splatzone.net
    509-574-5743
  • sr338sr338 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CONTRARE!
    I used to paintball all the time in high school, when the tippman 68 was brand new. Dude, now I shoot my m1a, my AR15s, my USP, sig, AK, etc... and I havent been paintballing in a long time. When you get tired of paintballing (and tire you will) you'll see where I'm coming from.
  • silver6silver6 Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe me sr338 I understand what you mean and Ive gone from woodsball, to tourney ball to scenario and around again a few times. I tire out from paintball all together every now and then. Thats usually when everybody I play with cant stop actin like idiots. Thats when I fall back on havin fun with guns.

If god meant for us to talk more than we listened he'd have given us one ear and two mouths- Vince Lombardi
  • splatzonesplatzone Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i hear ya.. i get tired of it also..

but of course not everyone has guns like those.. or access to them..

Jess Carroll
    Splat Zone Paintball
    7610 West Nob Hill #99
    Yakima WA 98908
    Http://splatzone.net
    509-574-5743
  • rassd71rassd71 Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, for me I choose to do airsmithing and work on paintball markers because it's a niche market. Plus my wife has no problem with my having paintball markers and supplies in the house. While when I choose to get into gunsmithing, reloading and have firearms around, then I will need a specific and secure space for them and a gun safe to keep them in. We have two small children, safety and respect are the first rules when it comes to firearms. I was first taught gun safety with a bb gun. When I showed that I understood and practiced safe procedures, I was allowed to practice with a 22 with adult supervision, then it was given to me and I was on my own. Unfortunately we moved back into the city not long after and real firearms were out of the question. I was then introduced to an early form of paintball in the cadets. And became hooked. This was in the early 80's.
    I then got into the early sport. I understand what you guys mean about getting tired of it. I come and go. I'll be active for a couple of years and then out for as long or longer. But everytime I play I get that feeling again. The rush. It's an amazing feeling to be able to shoot someone with no real consequence. There's no moral issue, no legal issue. It's just a game. I've played indoor, outdoor, scenario and speedball. My preferance is indoor. Controlled lighting and music. It's more like urban assault. And it's a lot of fun.
    Woodsball and scenario are more like playing war, fun, but can be filled with people that take it way too seriously. Speedball, unless you're into the 'sport' side of it is more about fields making money. Shoot more paint. The whole spray and pray or one case one kill mentality.
    There are a LOT of kids out there with thousands of dollars invested in this game. Personally I'm a lot more conservative (read broke) than that. I have basic equipment and I play rec ball and love it.
    Plus I enjoy plinking and target shooting. It's quieter and cheaper than most firearms. Plus, living in the city, I can do it in my backyard without the police showing up. That's a real nice benefit.

As my girls get older, I'll teach them gun safety. I'll more than likely start with paintball. Teach to respect it, and enjoy it. Then if they're interested I'll teach them on real firearms.

As for bad habits, those can be found anywhere. Yes, you can learn bad habits from paintball. If you were to carry them over to firearms. Paintballs do not have a flat trajectory, so you shoot differently. Plus if you fall into the spray and pray mentality, then that type of person with a real firearm is just dangerous to themselves and others.

But you can also learn some good skills and habits. reflexive shooting. Proper firearm handling. Always assuming that a firearm IS loaded. Never looking down a barrel unless you've taken the proper safety precaustions to KNOW it's safe. And never pointing at anything you don't want to shoot, or in the case of firearms, destroy.

So to the people who've never played, try it, you might like it.