In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

turret press

grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
I have used an RCBS single stage loader for years. I recently acquired a vintage Lyman SPAR-T in a trade. I was looking at this today and I thought I might use the Lyman. I have never used any other press than the RCBS and all my dies are RCBS. The question is would you use the Lyman or stick with what I have ? I am sure that most people might feel this is a subjective question. I really would like all opinions. Thanks

Comments

• grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why should I buy or not buy a turret press? If I should buy a turret press, which one should it be?

Thanks, Grizztribefans@sssnet.com
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    What type of reloading do you do?

Do you reload for weapons with high volume of fire? Such as a BAR, AK/SK, AR15, or semi auto pistol?
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of my reloading consists of .222, .44mag, .45-70. The reason I ask is because of the 3 steps for the .45-70. I have been using the same Pacific press for 35yrs that my Grandfather used. It still works great, but last night while working up .45-70 loads it seemed like a real pain switching dies.

Thanks, Grizztribefans@sssnet.com
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    You will not be gaining anything, IF that is your only complaint.

When you switch to a different caliber, you have to change the dies again.

But, consider this, how many rounds do you load for the previously mentioned?

On the other side of this, you will definitely speed things up.

Do you reload for accuracy or quantity?
  • steve4102steve4102 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The turret press will save you from changing dies. The RCBS has 6 holes and the Redding has 7. Put your dies into the turret head, set them and leave them. Just a rotation of the head from sizing die to seating die and from one caliber to the next. If you need more holes for all of your dies and calibers just purchase more turret heads. They can also be used as kind of makeshift progressive press if you set up the primer seater and the powder measure along with your dies. I think the RCBS or the Redding is the way to go.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steve4102
    The turret press will save you from changing dies. The RCBS has 6 holes and the Redding has 7. Put your dies into the turret head, set them and leave them. Just a rotation of the head from sizing die to seating die and from one caliber to the next. If you need more holes for all of your dies and calibers just purchase more turret heads. They can also be used as kind of makeshift progressive press if you set up the primer seater and the powder measure along with your dies. I think the RCBS or the Redding is the way to go.

Also, as I have done, is to buy a second or third head. It changes out in a snap. No adjusting etc.

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lyman is the only way to go.

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"