In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

casting bullets??

i was wondering if anyone cast there own bullets for blackpowder rifles?? any one have anytips to what i need to do after the cast is complete, is resizing needed and how can i lube the bullet?

Comments

• kraschenbirnkraschenbirn Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a Springfield Trapdoor carbine in .45-70 and a Winchester High Wall in .38-55. The rifles are modern reproductions but I use"original" blackpowder loads in both; 405 gr RN/55 gr FFg in the Trapdoor and 265 gr RNFP/46 gr FFg in the High Wall, both using Starline brass.

Casting bullets. for the old blackpowder cartridges is, actually, easier than for modern centerfire rifles:

1) First off, slug your bore to determine its actual groove diameter. You'll want your cast bullets to run, at least, .002" larger than the measured groove dia.

2) Always cast your bullets from nearly pure lead...most BPCR (that's Black Powder Cartridge Rifle) shooter use an alloy somewhere between 20:1 and 30:1 lead to tin mix.

3) Most BPCR shooters don't size their bullets; they shoot them "as cast." Using a soft alloy allows the bullet to expand to fill the rifling completely and, thus, seal the bore against blow-by. Measure bullets dropped from your selected mold in the same alloy that you're going to shoot...the softer "blackpowder" alloys will cast larger than wheelweights or Lyman #2.

4) The easiest way to lubricate is to "pan lube" your bullets. Set your bullets, nose up, in a shallow cake pan and pour in melted lube until all the bullets' lube grooves are filled. Let the lube cool and push the bullets, base-first, out of the lube cake. Simple, huh?

Hint: once you've cleared your lubed bullets out of the cake, don't remelt it. Instead, fill the holes left by the first (now lubricated) bullets with fresh unlubed bullets. Then, you can remelt the lube...I use an electric heatgun...and, voila, you've a fresh panful of lubed bullets ready to push out and load.

One last item. Be sure and use a "blackpowder" bullet lube. SPG is probably the best commercial lube out there...but it's bloody expensive. You can make your own lube, though, fairly inexpensively. There are quite a few recipes available but I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle: 1 lb beeswax, 1 lb pure unsalted lard, 8 oz. anhydrous lanolin (buy it at any health food store), and 2 tablespoons of canola oil (or Murphy's Oil Soap). Using a double boiler, melt all the ingredients together, stirring constantly, until thoroughly blended. Pour into convenient size containers and let cool. (I use margarine tubs and store in the mini-fridge under my workbench...right behind the six-pack of Negra Modelo!)

I think I've hit all the high points but if for a real education on the subject, I strongly recommend the Cast Boolits forum - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/. That's where I learned what I didn't know about BPCR.

Bill
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    All good advice; my only add-on is that for muzzleloaders, you may need to size minie balls to fit the barrel or you may not- you'll just have to try it; and for round balls, lube your patch with something- I like mineral oil.
  • bk_punisherbk_punisher Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    all great advice i have the minni ball mold and if i need to size it how do i know what size sizer to get.
  • bk_punisherbk_punisher Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    as for the lead that im using. i whent the cheap way. i work at a car dealership and i get all the used wheel weights i need. is this soft or to hard for a .50 cal inline?
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Wheel weights are way to hard for a BP gun. Like the others said, you need to use pure lead. Check with plumbers in your area and see if they will sell any scrap that they have.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Google the cast boolit forum; someone there will be happy to swap your wheelweights for pure lead. Wheelweights are too hard; a few added to a pot of pure lead to help mold fill out are fine, but that should be it.

I would cast the bullet and then see if it will enter the muzzle. My .50 cal minies will enter my CVA inline, my .58 round nose minies will enter my 1858 Enfield replica, but a wad-cutter made by Saeco requires sizing; like I say, you'll just have to see. Most muzzleloader bullets will NOT require sizing. If yours do, let us know, we'll go from there.