In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

barrel cleaning

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
I clean my barrels after about 30-40 shots. I shot mostly nolser ballistic tips. What is everyones thought on how often to clean. I have heard everything from three shots to never.

Comments

• Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was wondering about what kind of cleaning supplies to clean my rifle barrel. What is the best rod, are strait bristle brushes all right to use, to I need a barrel guide, what does the rod need to be made out of. What are some good cleaning solovents to use to. The rifle that I am cleaning is .22 caliber. Steps on the procedure would be helpful to.

And also what are some good links to buy these on.Thanks
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are you shooting, paper or competitive rifle and what results are you looking for?
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Depends on a lot of things. Some barrels like a fouling shot or two. Some don't. So cleaning after every few shots may or may not help, but if it does, it will only be for those with the most exacting expectations.

I clean my barrel after every outing, usually 30 rounds, by running 2 wet patches down, letting it sit a few minutes, then 2 dry patches. I give them more thorough cleaning every 100 rounds or so, including copper removal.

I never clean .22 bores until I see accuracy start to fall off, and then only use a boresnake.

I clean handgun barrels somewhat less often as well, as my accuracy expectations are less than for rifles. Handguns are fun to blast with, and if I can hit 6-8" at 25 yards I'm really happy.

All that said, cleaning probably wears the barrel more than does shooting unless you are very careful and either use only a bore snake or bore guides on your rod.

All this goes out the window of course with blackpowder or corrosive primers.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every 30-50 rnds depending. I keep track of how many fouling rounds it takes to "come in" and keep that in mind. Running hundreds of rounds before cleaning will make for a tough cleaning job.