In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

22 bullets what do you load

UncleFuddUncleFudd Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
Hey folks;
I am new to the forum and realy would like some help.

I have been reloading for nearly 50 years (it is true) and for the past 6 yrs have been buying factory 22 cal bullets.
I am not a BR shooter but do want and get accuracy for my coyote and prairie dog loads.
I have just used up the last of 30,000 bullets which were mostly Hornaday, speer and winchester. Most of these were used for pr. dogs.
I and my brother load for all in my family which include my dad at 88 yrs and my grandson at 19 and myself, my two brothers and my son in between.

Here is my problem.
I just began shopping for more bullets and wanted to replace my stash with 55 gr boat tail soft points. Historically I have shopped for the least expensive as most give me the accuracy I need and want regardless of the manuf. We do the majority of shots at 200 to 400 yards when shooting P dogs.

I found the best prices for bulk orders at Midway but as it turns out, all of their "bulk" boxes are back ordered. When I checked with them and now some other distributors, I am hearing that none of them are going to have bulk shipping or orders in the future.
Have any of you found this to be the case?
Also or in addition, what are you guys loading for varmit shooting of this nature?

Any help or ideas and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I hope to be able to help others with my participation here and look forward to getting to know some of you accordingly.

Thanks in advance.

UncleFudd

Comments

• Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I buy Hornady 50gr V-max for 99% of my .223 shooting..Pretty darn hard to beat..
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    For killing stuff besides paper, I use Midsouths "Varmint Nightmare". They are just a basic 55 grain PSP flat base. I think they are a Hornady product in a plain brown box. My last box was about $120/2000. The are often out of stock, but they take back orders.

They are very consistent, 1/2" MOA out of my light barrels CZ is no problem. The 1st load I tried was under 1 MOA, and it didn't take much tweaking to shrink that down.

There are better bullets out there, but none that are anywhere near this price. If cost were no option I'd shoot Nosler BT's, or Hornady V-max 50 grainers, But at over twice the cost I can't justify it.
  • ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I am very partial to Nosler bullets I load 50gr ballistic tips for my .223 I will be picking up my new .223 wssm next Friday I don't know what I will load for it but I am sure that Nosler will make it
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nosler Balistic tips, hornady v-max's, or sierra match kings.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have bought a lot of Hornady 55 gr. FMJ and PRVI Partizan in 50 and 55 gr. SP's. for general bulk and shooting pretty good those are accurate. For high accuracy I shoot the Hornady V-max and Nosler BT's and Sierra 50 Blitz' and 52/53 gr. Matchking.

As for not shipping bulk anymore I wouldn't think they wouldn't. High volume and inexpensive. they've made pretty good money doing it in the past I don't see why they won't unless they can't get their hands on them anymore.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    As another person already advised....MidSouthShootersSupply.com - I use the 55 gr SP bullets in my 223 AI with confirmed kills at 785 yards!!!

When I am fireforming 223 brass to 223AI, I expect to cover 5 shots with a nickel or less!!

There is one more alternative. Go to Nosler's website - and click on specials. They are having a pretty good sale right now.

I REALLY like the 52 gr & 69 gr HPBT custom competition. Shipped, to your door....it works out to $13.30 per 100.
  • UncleFuddUncleFudd Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GR8 stuff guys.

You are right as far as quality or type of bullets.
    I have spent countless hrs trying to match loads for my particular rifles and have found and catalogued the most accurate for each or at least for now.
    But I have also found a specific bullet that will give me max performance for ALL of my rifles. That is the 55 gr soft point and it really doesn't seem to matter who makes it. Which again is why I was looking for places to shop and prices accordingly.

Everyone in my family has 223 and 22-250 for base shooting with top of the line optics. Most are either Rem 700 or Ruger M77. My wife shoots a Rem 700 "carbine" in 222 rem mag and absolutely loves it. In fact, I think out of the box it is one of the most consistantly accurate rifles or calibers I have ever used.
    But back to the 22 bullets and the loads v rifles and cost.
    Because we all shoot the same basic barrels and twist, it makes it easier to buy bulk and have excellent accuracy for prairie dog shooting out to 200 to . Even those barrels that have been replaced due to wear we have stayed with 1 X 10 twist so the 52 to 60 gr bullets are right on.

I went out and bought the Blaser R93 LRS2 a few years ago and got both the 223 and the 22-250 barrels and bolts to go with my rem and ruger.
    They are just incredable, and all shoot teh 55 gr bullets just fine.

So your places to shop are a big help to me while trying to fnd the bulk orders of these or similar 55 gr bullets.

Thanks and if you are interested, i'll let you know what I find as a final price and availability.

UF
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Vote two for Midsouth's "Varmint Nightmare's". Great bullets at a very good price. I am consistently getting 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards out of my Remington 760 pump in 223 Rem.