In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New 'Green' bullets from Barnes

nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
The big push for 2008 is the green movement, environmentally safe(er) products in all aspects of our economy. This push got a running start with the shotgunners when restrictions on lead shot were put into place for hunting.

Barnes Bullets has been on the leading edge of mono-metallic, lead-free bullets since the introduction of the X Bullets. Now they have released a Green frangible bullet appropriately named Multi-Purpose Green (MPG) bullets.

From their PR release:

"Barnes now offers two all-new bullets featuring Multi-Purpose Green (MPGT) technology developed for military and law enforcement applications. MPG bullets feature a highly frangible, powdered-metal copper-tin core inside a guilding metal jacket.

Unlike frangible bullets lacking a protective jacket, MPG bullets remain intact under the rigors of handling, feeding and firing. This eliminates the primary cause of jammed actions and plugged barrels often experienced when firing frangible ammunition.

The 55-grain 5.56mm (.224) MPG bullet is designed for M4, HK416 and AR-15 type autoloaders and other firearms with rifling twist rates of 1:9" or faster. A 140-grain 7.62mm (.308) version is available for AR-10, SR-25, M40 (Remington 700) and M14 rifles with 1:12" or faster rifling twists. These open-tip bullets remain intact at ultra-high velocities and extreme rates of spin. On impact, they deliver explosive fragmentation.

Barnes' Multi-Purpose Green bullets are exceptionally accurate. They're ideal for shooting steel targets, competition, plinking, varmint hunting and home defense. "Green" is military shorthand for "lead-free"-a requirement in military and LE practice environments. "

Best.

Comments

• Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Nononsense, I am looking forward to carrying the new MPG along with the other Barnes bulets that I have at my store. It is really exciting to see the companies stepping up with these non-lead alternatives as I live and hunt in newly restricted non-lead areas.

Is there any word on a "green" bullet for .22 Long Rifle?
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mk 19,

I know Barnes will be happy to help you stock up!

I don't have any information at this time as far as the .22LR ammunition is concerned. I suspicion that the overall design of the ammunition might preclude having a solid mono-metallic bullet on that case. It'll take some jockeying to get the balance and performance right.

The Scandinavian countries have taken the lead on the 'green' ammunition development so I expect that any .22LR ammunition will come from them. Lapua just released a whole bunch of new accuracy ammunition but I didn't see any that would be considered 'green' per se. Aguila seems to be coming on fairly strong in the rimfire market and might have something to look at also. Maybe one of our rimfire experts will chime in and help us out here.

I should probably do some calling around to see if anyone has something along these lines in the works. Time, I just need some more time...

Best.
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Thanks Nononsense, I'm sure some of the companies are working on a solution to this problem. I have been in a bit of a quandry as I love to hunt rabbits and ground squirrels with a .22LR. I'm not about to switck over to a shotgun if I have to use steel shot and my .223 Rem just seems to be a bit over kill.

You have some pull in the industry, tell them to hurry up, rabbit season starts in 5 months[;)]
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mk 19,

"You have some pull in the industry,..."

I wish! If I did, I'd write a grant proposal to get some money for a paper to be presented to the rimfire manufacturers and set them straight with some information. I think Aguila probably has something in the wings but the American manufacturers don't have a clue. And even if they do, they won't do anything until forced to by legislation.

I'm sort of excited by the newer Lapua offerings but some of the prices are certainly problematic for some. I'm getting ready to test some of the Midas L in a new barrel. We'll see how it does.

Best.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personaly would like to see everything go green if money were no object. Unfortunately most things in life end up being about the money. Seems strange to me that most environmentaly friendly solutions to so called problems end up costing us more.