In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

bullet question

I have some of the new .224 50gr Barnes varmint grenades. can i use the same load data that I would use for any 50gr. bullet or do i need to find barnes recomendations for their bullets

Comments

• brickmaster1248brickmaster1248 Member Posts: 3,344
    edited November -1
    Seen something yesterday I haven't seen before. I was shooting at a distance of 300 yards, shooting my Ruger 77 chambered in 264 win mag, shooting 130 grain swift scirocco. I had one bullet hit the target completely sideways by the hole in the target. Is that a sign of the bullet not being stabilized or perhaps just a bad bullet? All other bullets made nice little round holes. They always group good at 100, but thought I'd stretch out a ways for a change. Twist in my rifle is a 1 in 9. Muzzle velocity is 3050 fps according to my crony.
    Thanks for thoughts and inputs.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Use the data you have for the powder you are using.
  • Remington1981Remington1981 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brickmaster1248
    I have some of the new .224 50gr Barnes varmint grenades. can i use the same load data that I would use for any 50gr. bullet or do i need to find barnes recomendations for their bullets

DCS I would normally agree, but not with barnes bullets. I loaded some of their tsx 168 grain 308 bullets and I loaded them using a speer book with a bullet of the same weight for varget. I used 46 grains which is the max load listed. well to make a long story short when i shot the first one it blew the primer out of the case and broke the extractor on the gun. I was at the NRA convention yesterday and spoke with a barnes tech about theis. He told me that with that powder i should only be around 42-44 grains for that bullet. He told me that I shoud start at 40 grains and work my load up from there. Now with that being said I have always been told that weight is weight and as long as I was using the same bullet weight that the manufacturer didn't matter. I love barnes bullets I started using the orginal X bullet last year and love the results on whitetail. What do you think?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Weight is weight However The harness of the bullet and the friction of each type and brand of bullet can be different . I for one never change any item and stay at MAX load. better safe then sorry.
  • flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not use the load data for a jacketed bullet for a barnes. They are harder and create higher pressure all else being equal. I would find what barnes suggests.