In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Vern Juenkes ICC - How good is it?

tigertiger Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Heard that Vern Juenkes ICC can make an approvement on nosler ballistic tips, but how much of an approvement would it make to my Remmington VSSF in 220 swift?

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tiger,

Welcome to the GB forums!

I'm not sure that you understand what the ICC really does by the way you ask your questions.

It doesn't improve anything except the way that we sort bullets for defects. Here is a description from RSI:

X-ray Your Bullets?

It doesn't actually x-ray your bullets but Vern Juenke's Internal Concentricity Comparator (I.C.C.) seems to. This device uses sonic pulses to look "inside" bullets for concentricity problems caused by voids and jacket irregularities. One past International Heavy Rifle Champion says it is the secret to shooting 6 inch groups at 1000 yards. If you do everything else correctly, and still get an occasional flyer, it may be your bullets. Weighing bullets can not tell you if an entire box was made from jackets with walls that are thin on one side. But, if the lead core is not centered they can fly as bad as the worst out-of-round projectile. Top competitors with one of Vern's machine often use only 40% of the best hand swaged bullets for serious work. You may find only 10% of the less expensive or production bullets you have been using measure to "Golden BeeBee" standards, with as many as 1/4 or more actually measuring as "junk".

Vern uses only the best components and fabricates the sonic sensors himself. It's quality is immediately apparent. The Accuracy Den I.C.C. costs more than $800. If you are a serious competitive shooter, or have enough buddies to share one, check it out here: http://www.theaccuracyden.com.

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/reloading.htm

So you see that the ICC can't improve your bullets but it will help you sort the better bullets from the lesser bullets. As to how much improvement it can make with your VSSF, it's hard to say because of all of the other variables that contribute to accuracy. Sorting bullets is merely one facet to a much more complex problem.

Best.
  • juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Juenke for selecting my best brass.I have also used it to guage how well bullets are constructed.It is a very expensive unit,but very helpful.Say if you have some .223 L.C. brass you want to load prep and load for a match You sort them by weight then run them over the Juenke and find the brass with the least amount of deviation (under .0007 is what I look for)and then match prep them.If you dont know that your brass is a thousands thicker on one side,your cases will stretch more on the thin side causing a very slight banana shape,throwing concentricity and of course your best accuracy right out the door.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Vernes " spinner" is a good way to spend long cold winter days sorting through all the junk bullets, and even junk brass.
    I had one .284 Winchester case that would never act like the rest of the 20 cases that had been weighed, and all the rest of the fancy stuff I could do to them, I could never figure out why until I bought the spinner. That one case went off the wall compared to the others that were checked.
    I have never been sorry about the purchase.......
  • tigertiger Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I should alter my question about the ICC. How is accuracy using exactly the same brass with all other variables kept to a minimum (that includes case neck concentricity, neck thickness, powder weights, etc) with "junk" standard projectiles compared with "Golden BeeBee" standard projectiles.
    Thanks for all your replies, tiger.