In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

new Ed Brown

wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
i reload 45acp, but was wondering should i just buy some copper plated 230 grn. round ball factory ammo to break this in? alot of times when reloading i use masterblaster polymer 230 grn. coated bullets. you can read about them at masterblastersbullets.com

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello If you just want to break-in a new pistol why not try some lead bullets this will #1 be cheaper then jacketed bullets #2 give you a good indication on how smooth the inside of the barrel is #3 is easier to clean leading then jacket fouling. #4 will still work the slide to seat the barrel to slide and slide to frame #5 be easier on the gun then jacketed loads. . I know I only shoot BULLS-EYE type loads but I get about 100,000 rounds out of a barrel with lead loads and one of my pistols has over 250,000 rounds of lead loads through it . practice with lead loads and then use jacketed loads where called for. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hello again perry, was hopin youd answer, cause i know you know your stuff. but anyway what kind of lead? hard cast or like the polymer i have? thx
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello the key to lead bullets is the lube enough and the proper kind . I use both hard cast LINOTYPE and very soft swaged Star brand. I lube all of mine with either a SYN lube if I am shooting inside"less smoke and fumes" or a straight 50/50 mix alox and beeswax if it is warm and shoot outside. Th other thing to watch out for is the bullet needs to be at least bore diameter .001 or .002 over bore will not hurt but help. The lube does 2 things #1 help from scuffing the bullet as it traveles along the bore and #2 it seals the bore . A hard lube IMHO does not do as good of a job on either of these as a softer lube. only bad thing about soft lube it does not store in bulk for shipping well. I buy all the bullets unlubed and then lube on a star lubersizer . This makes them both the correct size and more uniform You can do 30- 60 bullets a MINUTE with a star luber. Cheers Karl
    edited November -1
    thx again perry. so would the masterblaster bullets work, or do you think they wouldnt be that good?
    edited November -1
    also, since i dont make or cast my own bullets, are there any companies that you would recommend to buy from?