In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lake City Brass

Hi all, I am kinda new to the reload thing, although I have pretty much got the basics down. I recently bought some LC brass at our local gun show and my stanard large rifle primers will not fit the pockets. Are they small rifle primers for this case?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• husker12225husker12225 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the ability to obtain some lake city nickel brass,Can anybody
    say if this nickle brass any good for reloading.

Thank's For Any Info.
    edited November -1
    I have a bunch (5000 ++) of Lake City 87 brass in .308. I have been using it to load for my M60 and Fal and it works great. I also have a Remington 700 PPS that I need to do some more loading for. I have about 200 rd of Winchester brass that is now twice fired. I am wanting to load a lot of arround 500rds for my target gun. I want to use good components so this would meen buying all the stuff including new brass. If I did that it is going to cost me a ton. Do you think if I was to go through and weigh, trim and check the LC brass to get 500rds that matched it would be good or would I be wasting my time?

John
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They probably have a crimp in the primer pocket that has to be removed. This is pretty standard for military brass. There are special tools for this or if you know what your doing it can be acomplished with a deburring tool.
    edited November -1
    Also you did not specify what caliber the brass was for .223 or .308???
    That can also make a difference.
    edited November -1
    Thanks what do I need to get or how hard is it to deburr them?
    edited November -1
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    A primer pocket swaging or reaming tool. The reamer is pretty cheap. I recommend the Lyman. The swager is a bit more but faster. RCBS works well. Dillon if you wanna invest a bit more works fastest.
    edited November -1
    I use an RCBS swager there is a die that screws in just like a normal die. Then you have what some what looks like a shell holder but it has a nipple on the end. This you put where the shell holder goes. Then there is a round piece that goes over the shell holder with the nipple. After adjustments the instructions will come with the swager. You put the brass onto the nipple and run it up into the die. The pin inside the die will push down on the inside of the case forcing the nipple into the primer pocket and round it off. When you bring the press handle back up the round thing will knock the brass of the nipple. The simpler method would be to simply use your case chamfer tool and stick it in the primer pocket and just give it a few turns. This I would only suggest for some one with a little more experience but with some practice will work well also.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dillon 600 primer pocket swager.
    I did 2200 pieces of brass this weekend watching football.

CP
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I use a Lyman reamer if there is just a few to do. If I have a bunch to do, then I use my RCBS swager.
    As noted you can use a deburring tool also.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still have my RCBS swager, but upgraded to a Dillon. As Retired military, I have acquired a bit of MIL brass in both 223 & 308. My strong advice that if you use MIL brass be sure to measure case length after firing. The cases stretch at a much faster rate than sporting ammo brass and require trimming. Wish you the best.
    edited November -1
    Thanks All for the input. Next time I will know to pay closer attention. I did get a reamer off auction from the site. I guess now I better look at a trimmer.