In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Paintball & Military Training

Tiger6Tiger6 Member Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
For some events we use paintball to support training events in the Zussman Urban Combat Training Center at Ft Knox. Sometimes the COBs (civilians on the battlefield) are armed with "paint" while the military use Sim-Munitions (9mm or 5.56 rounds using a paint & soap mix in a hard plastic "bullet" using a reduced powder charge, fired from M16, M4, SAW & the Beretta 92). The sim-munitions requires use of a "kit" to convert the M4 or M16 to fire the 9mm sim, or a bolt change to fire the 5.56 sim. The sim's are great training device as they are accurate for normal engagement distances in an urban combat setting and they hurt like heck, leaving a bruise for about 2 weeks, but are non lethal and provide a good 360 degree live fire environment! Our paint ball markers (about 200 in inventory) are set at 300 feet per second and they are also "memorable" if your tagged! We also use towed artillery and mortars that fire 20oz paint rounds that can range out to about 800 meters, a mock M203 round that is underslung on some of the paintball rifles, and various types of paint mines and IEDs. We use our own scuba recharge station to support our paint markers.
We have found that training in a projectile based environment trains out the J. Wayne in soldiers, and the need to fight wearing the full urban combat uniform.
Some of our paintball, and the paint mines, mortar and artillery rounds, "stink" is added in the paint mix so that getting hit is both memorable and very distasteful. At night, even if you cannot see round impact points, everyone knows if you were tagged! And if you were close to center of impact of a mortar or artillery round, or if you were the "lucky guy" who took a direct hit with one of these 20 oz stinkers, you will find few friends until you clean up!
During near freezing conditions we use "winter paintball" to reduce risk of injury. (A frozen paint round can break eye-pro, or the face shields on even the best paintball face shields!)
We also have suicide bomber vests that will paint a 360 degree area out to about 30-35 feet from center. And Yes, the bomber dies a terrible death!

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch... AMEN
Badge_reduced.jpg

TARGETS UP!
TIGER6

Comments

• silver6silver6 Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That sounds pretty awesome tiger. How do ya get in on one of those games. And do they limit your paint. Cause I got in a training exercise with a local swat team cause they heard I was a local paintball player who was good. They made me the bad guy and I said Oh yeah. Then they said I only get thirty rounds and I said Oh NO! Im not gonna be able to play my game and the reason they wanted me there was to challenge them. They had the upper hand because I was out of my element and they had numbers and I had the upper hand in that I could barracaid myself and hide and stuff. But I got my butt shot off all day. I will say they took some too but in all the bad guy got it every time.

If god meant for us to talk more than we listened he'd have given us one ear and two mouths- Vince Lombardi
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Silver6..
    You need to surprise them with a paintball mine sometime =o)

polarbear.gif
    Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.

The only way to get stoned??? - Whisky on the rocks.!!
    edited November -1
    Yeah but Ive declined everyother time they asked me to help them again cause I didnt like being limited to thirty balls and my paintball gun will shoot twenty a second. I should see if they want to do that again and hit them with grenades and mines. But they would probably say no on that too.

If god meant for us to talk more than we listened he'd have given us one ear and two mouths- Vince Lombardi
  • rassd71rassd71 Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Silver,
    You should get yourself a decent pump and practice. My friends and I used to take on groups of 30 with angels and other high end markers with just pumps. Skill can do a lot. Why do you need 20 BPS when all it takes is one good shot?

The same group of guys used to play 'pain Ball'. Shorts and t shirts with a proper mask. But you're not out until you say you're out. So if you can take it, you can stay in. That's where I learned to deal with wipers on the field. You can wipe once, then I'll light you up all day.

I live in Southern California and I've played against SWAT, Marine Force Recon, navy and seal teams. The first time I was too awed by who some of these guys were. But their training can actually work against them. The teams are taught in CQB to shoot through obstacles. It doesn't work with paint. So you can get them if you dive and pop back up.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Just surprise them, mine a room or entrypoints - they don't need to know.

Just knowing the one they're about to attack, have that disadvantage - kind of holds back on the effects of the training.
    If they get hit hard, at least once - they learn from it.

Could be fun to plant a Claymore on a tripwire or remoteactivated (long pullstring), M80-mine with bursttube and a few other things...

Or some of that stage-fireworks - smokebombs which are electrically activated.

If I knew in advance someone were coming to raid me - boy, they're in for it. It's not tough to whip up some improvised distractions from household chemicals.
    Also something that will work as claymores, or boobytrap to incapazitate a man (like a mine)

If it was me - I'd just surprise them and bring the arsenal.
    They obviously only want to practise entrytactics - and they want a fair chance at it too.

In real life - they don't always get a fair chance.
    Someone is bound to get lucky or have an edge on them.
    Might as well be realistic about it - even if they have to get it the hard way. [:)]

polarbear.gif
    Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.

The only way to get stoned??? - Whisky on the rocks.!!
    edited November -1
    Aye Rassd71. I got a pump. I love to play pump games. Im like you I play pump against semis all the time. But I like sprayin and prayin too. Just kind of hard to get a pump game up out here where everyone thinks thats stupid. They dont seem to understand one ball is all it takes to take someone out and I need to bonus ballem all the time. But I guess that just perpetuats the situation so whatever.

• PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    When I was playing on a regular basis I used to take my P68SC against better? armed opponetns all the time. It was always fun to take out someone whose throwing a lot of paint and embarrass them with a well placed shot to the head or hopper. Ahh the good old days. [:D]

00016286.jpg
    00023904.jpg
    "Gunner sabot tank! Identify! UP! Fire! ON THE WAY!!" <<boom>>

"It's all about shot placement..."
    awcountdown_sm.gif