In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

357 Remington Maximum

Does anyone know what the SAAMI maximum pressure is for the 357 Remington maximum?

I am considering rechambering a model 94 in 357 magnum to the maximum.

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    40,000 PSI, vs 35.000 PSI for the 357Mag
    Min/Max OAL 1.940/1.990 vs 1.540/1.590 for the 357Mag

Feeding might be a issue.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Captainmike,

I saw this earlier and didn't have time to look at any information but I had a bit of time this morning and found some interesting discrepancies. The usual one is a misprint or misunderstanding of the use of the terms PSI vs. C.U.P.. In this case though, it seems that there are 2 different pressures listed; one being the 40,000 PSI and the other being 48,000 C.U.P. I'm not taking sides here, I'm just suggesting that there is more looking to be done.

Best.

.357 REMINGTON MAXIMUM

The .357 Maximum is a Ruger and Remington co-development, chambered
    initially in an enlarged Blackhawk revolver. This chambering is also available in the Dan Wesson revolver and the T/C Contender. The .357 Remington Maximum is a popular cartridge for IHMSA revolver class silhouette. The .357 Maximum is a .357 Magnum case lengthened 0.315".
    The SAAMI Maximum Average Pressure for the .357 Remington Maximum is 48,000 C.U.P.
    http://www.accuratepowder.com

Plagued by erosion and flame cutting problems, early production revolvers were pulled from the market and to my knowledge have not returned. Even though the .357 Maximum is only a mere .315" longer than the .357 Magnum, it produces rifle like pressures upwards of 48,000 C.U.P. that did not work well in a revolver configuration.
    http://www.handgunhunt.com/tech/t10/
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NN
    I pulled my posted data from AccuLoad 3, and it also shows the 48000CUP rating, however I saw no reason to include the antiquated CUP system measurement data.
    FWIW, the 357Mag also has a SAMMI CUP spec, and it is 45000 CUP. Either way, the Max runs at a higher pressure as well as having a larger powder capacity.
  • CaptainmikeCaptainmike Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all of the information.

In light of the higher pressure I don't think I will attempt to rechamber this rifle.

It shoots 1/2" groups at 50' with open sights with cast or jacketed magnum loads now.
  • ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am a real 357 max nut.i was just like you,i have the ruger blackhawk in 357max and wanted a carbine too go with it.after doing alot of checking i came too the conclusion that the cheapest and prob the best way too get a 357 max carbine is too buy a H&R or nef single barrel rifle then send it back in too have a 357 mag barrel fitted to it.after getting it back i opened the chamber myself too accept the 357 max.i started with a new 223 survivor then sent it back too the factory for there barrel fitting program.the 357 mag barrel is no longer made as a factory offering only as a added barrel.i think it costs me about $110 for the 357 mag barrel fitted too my reciever.with my reloads it will hold under an inch at 100 yds easy.thats with a 180gr bullet.hope this helps
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    there is a guy at my range that uses one for pin shooting, he loads two 110 grain wad cutters into it for a spread of about an inch at seven yards, i do not agree with the physics of it, but he has been doing it for years