In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What dies do you use? and .454 help

instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let me start off by saying how easy it is to forget a shellholder at the store, when you buy RCBS dies and are used to LEE[}:)]

So much for loading up some stuff for my baby the day I got her....
my new Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan[:p]

Anyhow I went back and now am all set up. However when i ran the new casings through the full lenght sizer I noticed that the die did not straighten all the way down to the base(is this normal for RCBS?). Next when I went to the expander die, after setting it up like the dir. said, it flared the case mouth, as well as making the case look pregnant. Through trial and error I got everything set up to my liking, no help from RCBS, except for that damn sizer.

These are my first non-Lee dies. I was not impressed, and I am more than likely going to scrap them and just pick up a set of Lee carbide.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this, and/or do you swear by a brand.

In RCBS' defense, most of my gear is theirs, and one purchace which I wish I made long ago was their micrometer for the powder measure. Talk about time saving!

I'll post pics soon.

Picture024.jpg

Comments

• Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Recently,I've kinda leaned toward the Lyman dies,they work fine for me,just my two cents,Bob.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    After trying most of them I ended up using and swearing by REDDING dies for my Model 83 454.
    They just seem to be a better die than all the others combined.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    BittersweatBittersweat Member Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have switched from RCBS to Hornady and Redding dies.
    The Hornady seating die has a sliding bullet centering sleeve that works really well for me when I load Mag rifle shells.
  • Options
    rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee for handguns,Redding for rifles.

buycoolshirts_1825_31216154.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I've wanted to check out Hornady's stuff. And you guys like Redding? I have always been impressed with the quality and price of the Lee stuff, although I wish their lock rings had a set screw in them.

Picture024.jpg
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Hornaday bullet seat on the rifle dies for bullet centering/alignment during seating. It is a neat design. For some reason it seems the newer Redding dies are better finished than the RCBS.

My opinion only.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm buying a set of Redding dies as we speak. Thanks for all the feedback gang[:D]

Picture024.jpg