In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Case trimmers

NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
I was wondering what all of you use. I have been reloading for awhile now and I have a ton of brass that is in need of trimming. Due to the ammout of brass I have I would like a powered one. The one I had always figured I would buy would be the RCBS http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=4&s2=4&s3=38. I see it comes with some shell holders and pilots does this meen I need to buy "cutters" for each caliber? The other one I was looking at was the Dillon http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=15&min=0&dyn=1&. The reason I was looking at the Dillon is that with this one you can get a couple of your case prep steps out of the way on a progressive press. The one thing I didnt see were pistol dies, and I have a bunch of that too. Any info or help would be greatly apreciated.

John

Comments

• texshootertexshooter Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used a Forster hand trimmer for over 25 years, and it has been an excellent product.

When I need to trim large amounts, I use the Forster attachment that mounts in a drill press.

National Rifle Association Endowment Member-Texas State Rifle Association Life

PM Ashley 681 AF & AM, York Rite Mason
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by texshooter
    I have used a Forster hand trimmer for over 25 years, and it has been an excellent product.

When I need to trim large amounts, I use the Forster attachment that mounts in a drill press.

Same-

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Lyman Universal. Works well enough for me.

buycoolshirts_1825_31216154.jpg
  • instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does the drill attachment help that much? I am using a manual Lyman, but I know they offer a drill attachment accessory.

Picture024.jpg
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    I have 2 Fosters trimmers that I have used for Years, I now have them set up for neck turning, I use the cheap little LEE set up, a hand held cutter that you screw a mandrel in to for lenght and a adapture that goes in to a electric drill, very cheap and Faster than my Fosters, once you have the adapture and cutter a caliber change cost under $4.00. and I keep my mandrel and shell holder in my Die Box's. Per each cal. I also use LEE hand held primer thing and I like their collet neck sizing die's. Cheap, Yes but they work great.[:D][:D]
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought the RCBS with the 110v power unit. This makes it hands free!!!! I am deburring and chamforing and measuring a case, while the next one is on the trimmer being turned down. You can work through 50 cases and complete all debur/chamfor/weigh/mic/trim steps inside an hour and probably closer to 1/2hr.

My trimmer gets them to within .0005" and most of the time better. The RCBS unit shellholders and pilots are CHEAP.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up a Forester at a gunshow for cheap. It works fine, yes you need a nub for each caliber but they aren't much money. I pulled the hand crank off and find that I can chuck up a smaller cordless drill to it and convert it to powered that way if you have it screwed down solid. The only part that I'm sorry about is that it isn't set up to do neck turning for varmint hunting loading. If you are likely to want to load .223 or 22-250, and the like, for high precision shooting you might want to considere if what you buy can be expanded for this.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    ern98 -Forster does have a neck turner....

Also have inside neck reamers as well.
  • ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty sure that the Dillon is a 'rifle only' trimmer.
    Thankfully my pistol brass almost never needs trimming.ugh.

Throckmorton SASS #23149
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Forster model that dates back to 58', a Wilson with holders, and the Lee trimmers. All work well but I like the Wilson the best. I don't have a power trimmer but there are times I wish I had one, especially when I have quite a few cases to trim.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Pinhead....seems that the Forster can be easily made into a "powered" case trimmer. Remove the screw for the handle, reinsert, and apply a lightweight cordless power drill. I do mean lightweight!!

Thoughts?
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dcloco, thanks for the heads up, I have seen adapters for the Forster but just never bought one. I will try your method and see how it works. Jim
  • deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the Lyman electric trimmer that comes with most all of the pilots needed.I've had it several years and I've had no problems with it.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info. I jsut went into the local gun shop and he had an RCBS on the shelf so I checked it out. I think that is what I am going to go with.

John
  • BOWWMANBOWWMAN Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS is slow Get a Giraud and dont look back it put them all to shame. Its like having an electric pencil sharpner that trimes and chamfers inside and out in about 2 seconds.

BOWWMAN