In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What do you all think of a .358 WSM?

Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
Some of you guys know am heading off to gunsmithing school in less than a week. Thinking of building a .358 WSM while I'm down there, as my first truly big game rifle. just wonderign what yall thought?

Comments

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No idea, I have still not been sold on the short mags, or the super shorts, or the short wides'. Very cool that you are headed to gunsmithing school though.

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I think it's a great idea, but the lack of good 35 caliber bullets would make me think about it a little.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking that I might go ahead with this project after I've been in school for a while. I've been looking for bullets online, so far this is what I've found that I would consider for big game use. Nosler 225 and 250 Partition
    Speer 250 Grand Slam 225 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, 250 Spitzer Woodleigh225, 250, 310 RNSN, 225, 310 FMJ
    Barnes 225 Triple Shock.

Not a lot of bullets, but enough to do what I want, which is create a big game rifle that will make anything I shoot with it fall down.
  • SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bill no offense I hope but the only downfall I keep seeing with the short mags and Ultra mag stuff is the lack of magazine capacity. I shouldn't have any trouble with this concept because in all my years I've never needed more than 3 shots and that was just one occasion when I needed 3 but there were 2 or 3 more cartridges left in the '06 if I needed them. Something comforting about having 5 down below deck if you need them.
    Please no offense intended just food for thought.
    edited November -1
    Snellstrom, no offense is taken at all. I'm always glad to hear the opinions of others. I was looking at some of Remingtons guns, and you are right I always feel more comfortable with 4 or 5 rounds rather that 3. However, a lot of the guns on Remingtons website only hold 3, such as the 673 in .308, and the CDL in 7mm and 300, both in the magnum and Ultra Magnum flavors. Like I said, this would be a year or so down the road. Part of the reason I am thinking of doing this is simply to have something different. Of course I'd continue to appreciate any comments or insights.
  • young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    was the plan to simply nech up a .300wsm case? reason I ask is that they did that to .323 (.325 ) and are only able to get 2800fps with a 220 grain pill....I wonder what the velocity would look like if you moved up to a 250grn .358?
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    young n dum

You have to think about this. Even though it is a 220 gr. bullet, it is producing almost 4K lbs. of recoil with it's 2840 fps. The larger .358 has more surface area to push on and the pressure of the case will still be high. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 250 gr.'er pushed out to 2800 fps at all.

Re: my post on this on "Ask the Experts."

Bill,
    I just had an epiphany(sinister thought). What if, like I mentioned earlier, instead of you going with two rifles...make a switch-barrel., .358 & .375. I'm just saying we have high hopes for you. Promise in anyone is good promise. -good luck
    edited November -1
    Well, I am going to go ahead with the .358 and the .375. Switch barrel system, that is an interesting idea. Not sure how I would do that, probably a take-dwon rifle with two barrels. I probably will build one of each since I need to build 10 firearms while I'm at school. Most likely I will buy 2 WSM Winchesters from Wallyworld or something and part them out, and start over new with the two actions. Not really sure yet, as there is so much I could do.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go for it! These should make a good rival/alternative to Lazzeroni's .338 and .416. Good luck and happy gunsmithing.
  • bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i don't know about that feenix. but why not a 338 lapua or a 375 rem ultra or a 338 rem ultra. also, people find it hard to match factory ballistics when they reload the short magnums. may want to think about that, NoNonsense, any help? also, i would imagine they may be having some trouble developing these or else winchester would have one they have .22-.323 minus .264 and i would think that instead of an 8mm they would have a 338, so they might have development trouble past that, food for thought. NoNonsense, maybe you can help us out.
  • ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not a match grade 300WSM if you have a thing for the shorts.

I've seen them kick some serious butt at matches lastely.

Also the 7mmWSM has been catching on big time.
  • jasonjenningsjasonjennings Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about a double cal take-down in .280-300win mag AND .375-300win mag? should be a nice go anywhere rifle.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fun Idea but not really practical in CONUS. I would like a 6.5 WSM.
  • jasonjenningsjasonjennings Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    which WSM would you neck down, or WSSM neck up?
  • ApapaneApapane Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dear Bill: I am new to this forum. I have a Winchester Model 70 .358 in 98%. The reason there are so few left was that Winchester had trouble with the caliber and many were turned back to the factory. I wonder if the guns were bad or if the caliber was not so good. I agree with other responders there are other better heavy calibers to invest money in and experiment with. Good luck, Apapane