In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

smith corona 03-A3

juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
Just purchased one of these tonight and was wondering if anyone had any pet loads that have been successful.I was thinking of trying RL-15 which works extremely well in my .06 , I also received 300 rounds of LC '52 brass with it(crimped primer pockets of course).

Moved from "Ask the Experts" - nn

Comments

• Options
    guffieguffie Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    48 grs of 4064, Fed br primer and a 168 Sierra MK bullet shoots excellent in my SC 03a3.
  • Options
    juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMR or AA 4064
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also use the 48.0 grns of IMR 4064 with a 168 grn MK - can't go wrong with that combo. Also, 46.0 grns of IMR 4895 with the same bullet works well. Win 748 has a good following also.

The Sierra MK is a great bullet, I don't know how much benefit you'll get shooting it from the old '03. Mine did almost as well with the bulk packed 168 FMJs.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot the Winchester 147 grain FMJ bullet over 47.5 grains of IMR4895 with a Federal 210 primer. Works great out of my 03A3 with the 2 groove barrel and also out of my M1 Garand. The best load I shot out of this 03A3 though was a Sierre 175 match king bullet over a load of 852 military surplus powder but this powder is no longer available. Too bad because it really shot extremely well.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    juddroy,

I moved this topic to the appropriate forum.

I just realized that I've been spelling "Reloder" wrong for a substantial period of time....

The Reloder line of powders is one of my favorites for all around performance. Re-15 works great in my .308 Win. loads as well as some 30-06 loads.

Re-15 is a bit fast for the 30-06 case but it can be a good powder for the lighter weight bullets and still maintain a case that is nearly filled. If you use any of the 150 gr. bullets, start at about 51.0 grains and work up slowly increasing weight by 0.3 gr. at a time. Watch for signs of pressure or better yet, use a chronograph to work up loads. The 150's should MAX out at approximately 2950 - 3000 FPS.

Best.
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense

I just realized that I've been spelling "Reloder" wrong for a substantial period of time....

doh!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mrseatle,

I'm not sure how that comment is directed but just to be sure that you aren't misunderstanding...

I have been using the standard spelling of (Reloader) by including the 'a'. I went to the Alliant website to check some other information and took the time to look at the label for their line of powders and that's when I actually saw that they use the spelling (Reloder) which does not use the 'a'.

Hopefully that clears up your use of the "doh!".

Best.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that is a wry referrence to one Mr Homer Simpson. Whenever Homer screws up (which he does FAR more often than you do!) his version of an expletive is simply, "Doh!"
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nononsense,

Clearly, this is just a whoops! in Homer Simpson lingo, as Kydster said. Not often one gets a Doh! on you though.

Juddroy,

I have to agree with NN in that RE-15 is a bit fast for an '06 Re-19 or 22 may be the better choice depending on bullet weight. Re-15 will get the bullet out there though without a problem it's just that you leave a lot of room in the case and that relates to inconsistency as the powder can be positioned many different ways in the case. Re-15 is more about a .308/.243/.260 case size speed. If it's working as well as you want though, keep at it.
    I'm more inclined to think that 4350 may work better for you or 4831. If you move to heavier bullets 4831 for sure and you might branch out and try some VV N160, or maybe Ramshot Hunter. Win 760 is a tried and true shooter in the 30-06 as well. -good luck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I guess that clears that up. I was never privy to the monologues of Homerese since I rarely get an opportunity to watch television. Thanks for bringing me up to date on that little piece of Americana.

Best.