In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lee Classic Turret, P.I.T.A

Only been reloading about 6 months but my Lee is already getting on my nerves. The turret gets misaligned on the first upward stroke about 1/3 of the time...the other 3 strokes all go fine everytime though. The Lee Safety Primer thing gets stuck on the primer arm 100% of the time and is a pain. I still am able to do about 50 rds in 20 minutes or so but it can be a pain. Is it time to start saving for the Dillon 650B now????

Comments

• GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I probably shouldn't get into this again. The last time I did, I had all the Lee fans all upset. I need to remember that not everyone has tried a Dillon so they don't know what a good press is supposed to work like.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well I am a Lee fan, but can't say I have ever thought much of their progressive presses. Their single stage are ok, and their classic cast is probably the best single stage press on the market now for the money, but their progressive- well.... it gets the job done. I've never had a turret press from them, so I can't comment but their Pro 1000 is like a Yugo- it gets you there but the Dillon is a cadallac.

Now their dies, hand priming tools, trimmers, etc., are absolutely top notch, second to none, and still cheaper than anything else.
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I love the dies and the powder measure it's just the Classic Turret press that is acting finicky now. As is the safety primer feed. Maybe I'll disconnect the turret action and make use of it as a single stage and start saving for the Dillon!!!
  • abfsabfs Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a look at the Hornady LNL AP press also. My decision came down to a Dillon and the Hornady. For a couple of different reasons, I personally chose the Hornady. Only had one problem with it and the problem was user error on my part. I have loaded 400 rnds of 40 S&W in 1hr and 20mns not even trying to go fast. I love the press so far.
  • GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GoldenEagle-I have never personally used a Hornady Lock & Load so I can't speak from experience, but I think the Dillon RL550B is a great all around press system. I had (and liked) a RCBS 4X4 but they stopped making them, but once I got the Dillon I almost never used it so I sold it to a friend. I have used some of Hornadys other stuff and I like it as well.

I think the RCBS hand priming tools (both grip type and mini-press type)are just as good as or possibly better then the Lee, and RCBS backs them up for life. I have seen the old RCBS (non-automatic)press type priming tools sell for about $100 on ebay and guys are fighting to buy them now that RCBS stopped making them. I have broken both a Lee and a RCBS (grip type priming tool)over the years and Lee told me to buy another while RCBS sent me a newer more expensive version for free.

Back to presses-Dillon offers 4 different presses, Square D (B), RL550B, RL650 and RL1050. I have at least one of every one except the 650 and all are good but the RL550 is the one I use most often and for the biggest selection of calibers. I have a Square Deal B that I listed on here and it hasn't sold so I was going to add a bunch of stuff and sell it all as a package, (in the near future) either on here or the "other" site, just in case you may be interested. It is in great shape but I just don't use it all that much and the RL550's will do what I need to do and I have 3 of them.

In my last discussion on this matter, when people are asking about comparing one system to another, I discovered that many people will speak out about how good their system is without having actually used both systems. Usually all of the different companies make products that actually work, it is just that some seem to work much easier and with less issues over the long run. I have had some experience with Lee progressives but they were always finicky with me. That having been said, one of the Lee fans posted a link to the Lee site which had some videos that had some excellent advice on how to make some adjustments to the Lee products to keep them running well. I think this is great, but I never needed that with my Dillons-I just read the manuals. They (lee) may have a video for the problem you are having that might help you out.

Best Wishes.
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Thanks alot for the info, definitely leaning towards the 550 or 650...saving as we speak.