In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Will a Sierra Match King bullet work on deer?

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
My wife is going deer hunting this year. I have had her at the range a few times this year... Maybe a few times too many. Now I am nearly out of ammo for her. She will be shooting my A-bolt 30-06. My normal hunting rounds, and a 168gr SMK hit within an inch at 100yds, and I have lots of the 168's loaded. Season starts Saturday, and I don't have time to load more (court, work, packing).

Is there a reason I shouldn't have her shoot the SMK's for deer?

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Hollow point match bullets will not expand on a lightly built deer[:(]I would think tat a gun that is zeroed in with match bullets would be fine for hunting conditions with a factory hunting bullet.Edit [:0][:I]Looks like I stand corrected . I have only shot one deer with a Target bullet it was a 120 grain Sierra in a 25-06 I used this bullet for the same reason as you they shot great groups. I shot one deer standing broadside at about 75 yards . I was lucky enough to be able to watch this 140 pound buck run for close to 1/4 mile in some open hardwoods "big half circle" he was running when he went out of sight. I checked for blood trail was none. I hunted for 2 more hours until dark and when I left went to where he went out of sight. "was on the way to my truck " to my surprise he had died within feet of my truck. upon field dressing and skinning no bones were hit and both entry and exit hole was the same 1/4 inch hole[xx(]. I admit this was the first year of factory Remington 25-06 maybe they have changed and put thinner jackets on todays match bullets. sorry about the error in information .Let us know how it works out.
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    dsco - I will agree with perry on this one. I am sure that many people have probably shot deer with the SMK and I am sure that one of them will speak up here, but I wouldn't do it. I would bet that if you pick up a box of any good factory ammo loaded with 165 grain or 168 grain BT bullets, it will probably shoot just fine at the distances that most people hunt to (0-300) yards. I would say check the manufacturers websites for a round that has around the same velocity as your SMK loads with similar bullet weights. When you find one, bite the bullet (pun intended) and buy a box of the factory stuff.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello Hollow point match bullets will not expand on a lightly built deer[:(]I would think tat a gun that is zeroed in with match bullets would be fine for hunting conditions with a factory hunting bullet.

I think that you will find that the Matchking is one of the preferred bullets of the true long range hunters (the 800-1200 yd guys), as the SMK expands quite well at sub 2000fps impact velocities. The problem most people have with them is that they will over expand at "normal" impact velocities (IE act like a varmint bullet).
    If the lady "tickles" her deer in the ribs she will probably be quite happy, if she pokes it in the shoulder she will most likely be quite disapointed.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pick up a box of Hornady Interbond 165's or 165gr BTSP's and see how they group. I'm sure you'll reach 1" and be sighted in within 10rds. Both will be murder on deer.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello Hollow point match bullets will not expand on a lightly built deer[:(]I would think tat a gun that is zeroed in with match bullets would be fine for hunting conditions with a factory hunting bullet.

I have to disagree here! Sorry Perry but it is from experience that I know that Sierra's Match Kings actuall expand too much. They will destroy a lot of meat. That is unless you get the lower velocity of a distant shot. Actually some manufacturers are redesigning their match bullets and tailoring them to them the "acurracy-oriented" hunter. Berger Bullets is a good example. quote:Hunting Bullets

The MATCH VLD bullets are proving to be the most lethal big game hunting bullet available. (Watch Demo Clip) The VLD design incorporates a sharp nose that allows the bullet to penetrate up to 3 inches before it starts to expand. This delayed expansion results in a wound channel that is deep inside the vital area of any big game. After the bullet starts to expand it will shed 80% to 90% of its weight into the surrounding tissue traveling as deep as 18 inches. This results in a massive wound cavity that creates the greatest possible amount of tissue damage and hemraging within the vital area (organs). This massive and extensive wound cavity result in the animal dropping fast. Our bullets don't poke through like an arrow but instead expend all of their energy right where it is most effective, inside the animal. Bullets that poke through so that they can cause a blood trail are designed to result in a hunter tracking a wounded animal. Using the Berger VLD will result in an animal that goes down fast so you can enjoy the results of your hunt without having to track the wounded animal after the shot. You owe it to yourself to see how accurate and deadly the Berger VLD will be on your next hunt. To order a 30 minute video for $5 that provides more detail on the bullets, cartridge and velocity used to take several animals at a variety of ranges call 714-447-5456.

I pulled this straight of their website and I have used these bullets successfully for the past 2yrs with no inhumane kills. Here is the link to Berger so you can check it out yourself.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/

The reasoning behind Manufacturers not recommending Match bullets be used is that most hunters usually take close shots on game animals(200yds are less) and due to the higher velocites that are attained the bullets don't have time to expand in the game and deliever the kinetic engery of the bullet to sustain a garunteed humane kill. Hope I could help and please use your best judgment in selecting a good bullet for the "Humane" kill. Good Luck and Good Shooting!!
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I guess I will have to go buy some rounds. I shudder to even think of it, but I don't want anything to go wrong with her hunt. It has been 12 years since I have bought factory rifle ammo...
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't buy the "no time" story - you could have run up 5 rounds in the time it took you to post and read replys.
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mbsams
    I don't buy the "no time" story - you could have run up 5 rounds in the time it took you to post and read replys.

Yup. Just run up 10 rounds of Gamekings. Same exterior design, game killing construction.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never lost a deer shot with a SMK.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know someone is going to freak in that I don't use the single best bullet ever designed for hunting but Yes!, an SMK will kill a deer very dead if you shoot them in the heart/lungs area. They won't do as well if you shoot head-on or through the shoulder. Their thinner skin may or may not penetrate bone as well as some heavier constructed bullets before it comes apart. Neither of those are my preferred shots though.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mbsams

Only problem with the run them out insted of posting is all my reloading stuff is at a friends house in another town.

I did buy some factory shells, but she has not shot anything yet...