In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

303 Cal Accuracy

gunprofitgunprofit Member Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
I love my military rifles. I get great accuracy from my Swiss 7.5 rifles, Swede 6.5 rifles, Springfield 03 & A3 rifles and many others. But try as I may, I do not get good results from my 303 caliber rifles. I have a nice Enfield No4 Mk1 and Enfield P14. I have been reloading for 30+ years so I'm not a novice. I've tried every conceivable load you can think of. I have used .311 dia bullets and 3.12 dia, which seem to give better results. My issue is that my best groups at 100 yards are over 2.5 inches. The norm is closer to 3 inches. With all my other rifles my run of the mill groups are an inch or less. My question to everyone, is there such a thing as a target grade 303 rifle? Does anyone own a 303 caliber rifle that has accuracy bragging rights?

Comments

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Wolf Gold 174 gr FMJ in my #4 mk1 and do 1 inch at 100. I don't reload for the 303 so I really haven't tried any thing else.
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first question is how are the bores? The Brits apparantly thought they were enigizer bunnies and still believed in volley fire to some extent and keep them in service way to long.
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Have you slugged your bore? I have one #4 that has a .315" groove depth, I have seen .317".

The .315" gun will shoot near MOA with .316" cast bullets.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I can't be of much help--My best load for my Pattern 14 averages 2.14" and for the #4 it's 2.78". And I'm delighted with that! I can't shoot any better than that with iron sights.
  • gunprofitgunprofit Member Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bores on these guns are quite good. I did slug them and the No4 Mk 1 is a .312 while the P14 is tighter at .311 diameter. Although I have tried numerous jacketed loads, I have not tried any cast lead boolits. Currently, the best load is the Hornady .312 dia, 174gr RN with 42gr of Reloader #15, COAL 3.020. I have spent the most time with the Enfield No4 Mk1. I have used Tubbs polishing bullets that are impregnated with lapping compound in an attempt to improve the barrel. I have tried all the tricks such as playing with the torque pressure on the screws, etc. I even tried removing the upper handgards. To improve my personal performance I installed a Huber Anti-friction ball trigger. They claim a 27 ounce trigger pull, but that didn't happen. Although it is down to around 4lbs.

Brier49, I'll get some Wold Gold ammo and try that. I'm not ready to give up yet.

Richbug, do you have a favorite cast boolit and load that you would recommend?

BTY, my best group with my Schmidt Rubin K31 7.5 x 55 is posted on the wall in my Man-Cave. I have 5 shots at 200 yards all touching, measuring less than 1/2", using Berger 168gr VLD and 44gr of Varget. I don't expect my 303 cal guns to get that kind of accuracy, but I do expect close to MOA. I need all the accuracy help I can get when shooting metallic silhouttes at 500 yards. Actually the Rams at 500 don't seem to be as tough as the Turkeys at 400, go figure.
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunprofit

Richbug, do you have a favorite cast boolit and load that you would recommend?

The mold I used was a 180gr Loverin style(custom) that I sized to .316. Powder was salvaged from Albanian 7.62x54, but was somewhere between 3031 and 4895 in speed.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's nothing to be done about that "springy" enfield action. I would be very happy with 2.5" from a 303.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen a guy shoot one hole groups @ 100 yards with a SMLE. He was using reloads. I had a MK1 that shot 3-4 inch groups. I still have a #5, best groups I can get are 4-5 inch and the bore is mint. The recoil is horrendous with the mil stock. I have shot both factory ammo and reloads with 311 bullets. Never tried to make a super accurate load myself and hope someone can offer advice.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a #4 MK1 and although I've gotten pretty good accuracy out of the Hornady 174g RN bullets they will not feed in my gun. I am using the Hornady 174 FMJ bullets with 40.5g of Varget and Winchester primers. I use a Lee factory crimp die. My best groups have been right at 2". I believe it will shoot better but that is as good as I can see.