In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

pistol loads for WIN 571

roysharoysha Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
Recently came into a batch of 571 for the right price, free. I don't load enough shotgun to change my load there but I do load all the common handgun calibers using cast bullets. Does anyone have a load for 571 in any of the common calibers? I would like to use this powder up since it would make cheap shooting. If I could use it in my 9mm or 38 Special, I would be loading for around $3.75-$4.00 a hundred.

"What you do ultimately means nothing, and you could be replaced tomorrow by the first passing cretin." Corinne Maier

Comments

• Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    571 is one of my favorite shotshell powders, so the idea of burning it up just because you have some borders on treason. 571's burn rate falls between Hercules Herco and 2400, but I'm not sure how the burn characteristics compare. There isn't a better magnum shotshell powder so rather than experimenting with a handgun and my health, I'd seek someone local to you thta would be willing to swap some handgun powder.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    roysha,

Seems to me that with the statement below, you might be able to correlate some usable information. Practice the same caution as when working up any other new loads. I've been known to use some unusual powder combinations but this is not one of them. If you have questions about this powder, I wouldn't hesitate to contact Hodgdon for additional comments.

"HS-7r HS7 is a spherical propellant that is an excellent heavy field load for game such as turkey and goose. HS7 is used to load some pistol cartridges including .357 mag.,.41 mag.,.44 mag., and .45 Win. Mag. HS-7 is identical to Winchester's discontinued 571. Available in 1 lb. & 8 lb. containers."

http://www.hodgdon.com/smokeless/shotpist.php

rifleman.gif