In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Estimated Feet Per Second ?

SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
Well I've not bought a new Chronograph yet and it will be a week or five till I can afford to buy one since Christmas, so I'm looking for some well educated estimates, not wild * guesses. Here are the facts, you do the math, I already have and I want to see what some other experience loaders have to say.

.284 bullet Speer 130 Spitzer Boat tail, 36 grains of H4895 in a .284 Winchester cartridge rifle is a Ruger M77 flatbolt with a 22" barrel.

Yes I know this is a reduced load but I'm curious.
Thanks[;)]

Comments

• Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    If your rifle is accurate enough to put two bullets on virtually the same path an way to estimate velocity is to shoot targets at two different distances, then knowing the BC of the bullet, you can reverse plot it with trajectory charts til you hit your velocity. Without shooting, estimating velocity can be done with a Powley Computer, but it won;t be much more accurate than a WAG.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Snell,

like Ray said best wag I can give is 2200-2300 fps. Do like ray said also and measure drops over distance. Use a computer and that will give you what you have for velocity.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I crunched a lot of math in my head and a little on the calculator and I came up with nearly 2,300 fps, just under.
    This is a reduced load that my son is shooting, I wanted an idea of where it will be at 200yards if 2" high at 100 and where it may be at 300 yards, then I'll go out and prove this load by shooting at those distances.
    Thanks guys