In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lyman 1200 DPS / Questions: Temps&Vibrations

One of Santa's Helpers gave his Dad a new Lyman digital 1200 powder dispenser and I've been filling primered brass today. I noticed that it's so sensitive that Lyman suggests it be kept away from drafts and off the reloading bench for optimal results. I don't have a problem with that but I'm curious if anyone's found that to be true or do you have any other tips regarding the powder measuring device.

It sure beats the scale and dribbler!

Comments

• old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    I bought the Lyman 1200 about a year ago.Although i haven't used it a lot,it seems to work well enough after getting used to it.I don't believe it is any different than any other powder scale in that vibrations or drafts will affect any of them.
  • ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Zipper Zap,

From what I hear about the Lyman they are very temp sensitive and need a good warm up time to be consistant.

A buddy of mine just keeps his ON and plugged into a decent surge protector.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Room temp, and no bouncing around, good to go.

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Zipperzap - read this thread.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=179127

My 1200 DPS II is still throwing charges all over the place. Verified by their checkweight on two different beam scales (RCBS 505 & a nice Hornady).

I tried throwing 25 charges tonight of IMR3031 at 21.0 grains. I have everything from 20.7 to 21.2....even though the electronic scale indicates 21.0 grains.
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Very interesting read Tom!

I think I'll fill out the warranty card tonight and cross my fingers. I'm going to be loading .44 Mag. and 45-70 tomorrow. Maybe I'll squirt some 9mm and spot weigh to see if I catch any anomalies. I'll spot check what I did today, nothing was seated yet so it'll be a simple task.

I'm glad I posted here. It's always good to be on the alert before there is a problem!
  • knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I`ve been using the 1200 dps for over a year now, No problems at all. Just as acurate as any other scale, Much faster than beam scales. Schedule other tasks during the warm up time.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Believe any tool is just like anything else...if you get the "wednesday" built model, you get a good one.

By the way, I have tried three different light sources and there have been NO drafts.
  • steve4102steve4102 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 1200 as well. I have loaded hundreds of rounds without a problem, everything has been balls on. I did read in a post awhile back that someone had a problem with accuracy when he left his cell phone in his loading room. Didn't think much about the cell phone thing till the other day. I was sitting here at my computer when my monitor started to flicker and beep. Couldn't figure out why all of a sudden my monitor was going nuts. Then my 11 year old son walked in and said, " Dad, don't you know that cell phones will cause your monitor to go nuts like that." He was right, my cell phone affects my computer monitor, maybe a cell phone could affect the accuracy of the 1200 as well.
  • Gunslinger2005Gunslinger2005 Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like my 1200. I just turn it on 1/2 hour before I plan on using it. It's always dead on as far as the loads, but I do have to turn the ceiling fan off when I'm using it. Moving air currents will through them off.
  • remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i've had my 1200 dps since they came out about 2 or so years ago, like everything about it, normally would have used a RCBS but i figured i'd gamble on the lyman, no problems whatsoever out of it, and have probably loaded and questimated 2000 or better rounds through it
  • WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Steve says is correct cell phones can effect some electronic devices, mine seems to give aspeakers feed back in my computer and at times in the car. Also gas pumps say to turn off cell phones while pumping. If I were which I will be in the future doing my own reloading I would not have the cell phone in the room with me during reloading using electronic equipment.