In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30-30 win from 32 spec.

375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was resizing some 30-30 casings the other day , and when I started sorting the brass , I noticed that some were 32 win spec's [B)] I didn't notice anything different while resizing as far as some being harder to size . My question is this , can you form 30-30's from 32's simply by running them in a 30-30 die ? O.A.L. were all the same , and I couldn't see anything wrong with them , short of running one in the chamber ( empty ) .

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, the bullet diameter is the only difference between them. You can also make 32WS out of 30-30 just by opening up the neck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd like to thank Ya Kindly [8D]
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only cautionary note I can think of is the possible confusion if you have and reload for both. .32's in a 30-30 could give high pressures (if they would chamber at all, more likely give you a stuck shell in the chamber which can put a damper on a day at the range or in the woods)
    On the other hand you'd probably never know it if you fired a 30-30 round in the .32 Special but velocity and accuracy would both be sub-par.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should probably obliterate the headstamp on cases that are resize to a caliber different than headstamped. That way it will give anyone pause if they find the ammo and think about firing in the wrong gun. I use a fine bit in my dremel tool and just carve out the caliber without affecting the mfg or the rim. Better blank than wrong.

Tim
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    MyY dad is a pretty avid Winchester lever action collecter and he was asked by a friend to go shooting. I was home that weekend so I went along. The guy had a pretty nice '94 saddle ring carbine in 32spl. This individual proceeded to shoot a few rounds and could not hit anything. My dad walked over and picked up this guys box of ammo. It was 30-30. All that this guy had fired shot and ejected but did flare out the brass basically fire forming it. Dad showed it to the guy and he said well I told the sales guy I needed ammo for my "cowboy lever action" what was he thinking? We did not go out with this person again.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input fellas , if I load the 32 casings at all , I would use them for plinking out the strippins and just leave the empties fly , but chances are I won't even load em .
  • Options
    gravleygravley Member Posts: 79
    edited November -1
    Use the brass as it is interchangable after resizing. The only thing I have found is you may have to measure and trim some of the cases when going from one caliber to another.
    As for as the accuracy of the 32 special if your bore is sloppy just move up to 8 MM bullets. Be sure and mic the lands and grooves before going this route. The 8 MM is only 2 thousands larger. I use 150 gr. spires with only one in the tube and one in the barrel. Gun now shoots a good 2 MOA now and a many of deer have been taken with this combo out to 200 yards.