In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rifle powder recommndations?

SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
2 part question.

First rifle is a Husky 30-06 with a 24" barrel w/1-12 twist. Presently experimenting with 4831SC behind a 180 Spitzer. Making one jagged hole at 100 yds. Really like this load. Seems to shoot "smooth" ie; no excessive muzzle blast or recoil.
Is the 4831 SC really made for this combonation? Is the 4831 SC a slow burning powder or should I be looking somewhere else. I really want this rifle to drive tacks at longer ranges.

Second rifle is a 742 Carbine w/18 1/2 barrel 1-10 twist. Presently shooting 56 gr IMR 4350 behind a 165 gr Core Lokt. Does the job nicely for what I have been using it for (swamp hunting). Recently came to realize how slow burning the 4350 is and was looking for comment about using a faster burning powder to really fine tune this fence post and tame some of the muzzle blast and.

Comments

• PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    IMR 4895 is what the US military used for the 30-06 round for the M1 Rifle and it is what I use for my M1 reloading.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    your bolt gun will handle anything, the 4831 should be fine. I'd suggest a faster powder for the 742, )4895, 3031, ect.).
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I use 3031 or 4064 for my hunting loads in my 760 30-06 with a 165gr.hp. bullet, and use 4895 for M1 and 168gr.
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup. Was doing some reading and came across the 3031. Gonna hafta do sum more research.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The USA loaded billions of rounds with 4895. It is a great powder for the 30-06. I was shooting about 48 grains with 165 class bullets with great results.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scorvers,

With your rifle I would stick with the 4831SC that you have found works so well. However if you are finding it doesn't seem to give excessive recoil with a 180gr. that you might want to check the velocity. Either by chrono or measuring drop. You may want to up the charge. If you up the charge then find you are getting muzzle blast then you might want to move up in powder speed. 4350 would be my next powder to try.

One thing you are hearing here is that 4895 will work for the 30-06. It is true. In WWII it gave the best velocity while not overpressuring the gas system of the M1 Garand. You won't have that same problem. You can work up the load to the SAAMI max. You can do that better with a slower powder. And with 180's I would say you have hit about as good as it gets with that rifle if you are getting jagged holes for groups.
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First of all...what is "SC"?...
    What bullet make(s) are you using?
    180gr Hornady with 49.0gr of IMR-4320 is hard to beat..
    same bullet with 57.0gr of IMR-4831 shoots the same in a 24"
    Find a friend with a chronograph if your interested in working up a "fine" load..
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Grunt2

SC stands for Short Cut. It is the same as 4831 except that the grains are shorter for better metering.
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll be darned....New one on me....! I guess I'll have to get out more...Burn rate same as IMR or H- 4831?

quote:Originally posted by HandgunHTR52

SC stands for Short Cut. It is the same as 4831 except that the grains are shorter for better metering.
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I'll be darned....New one on me....! I guess I'll have to get out more...Burn rate same as IMR or H- 4831?

According to Hodgdon, they are the same. This is from the Hodgdon website:

"H4831SC - Ballistically, this Extreme Extruded powder is the exact copy of H4831. Physically, it has a shorter grain size, therefore, the designation SC or short cut. The shorter, more compact kernels allow the powder to flow through the powder measures more smoothly, helping to alleviate the constant cutting of granules. With the smoother flow characteristics comes more uniform charge weights, while the individual grains orient more compactly, creating better loading density. Available in 1 lb. & 8 lb. containers."