In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best medium for storage of rifles and pistols?

This topic may have been beaten to death before I joined, but what does the collective wisdom of the forum think is the best method for long-term storage of weapons?
I have been using "Collector" from Break Free recently but have no real experience with
its long-term performance. In the past I have used Hoppe's #9, Kroil, RIG grease, regular
Remington gun oil but I've never really known what works best because I shoot most of them often enough that it hasn't been an issue. I have not had a bore or outer surface rust on me yet, and I don't ever want to. So what works best for several years of storage?
Kari Prager

(K 31x4, (that's nuts!) K 11 Carbine, K 11 Rifle, K 96/11, K 1889, Kadet rifle, K 93 Carbine, 1910 Ross, Enfield #4x4 (also nuts!), Enfield #1 Mk III*, Enfield .22 trainer (22 No. 2), Mosin M39x3, Mosin M28/30x2, M 28, M 27, 91/30 Finn, 91/30 1937 Ishevsk, 96 Swede Rifle (target version), 94 Swede carbine, 1912 Norwegian Krag, M1 Garand, M1A, I think that's it. I shoot them all (but mostly Swiss, British and Finns) except the three old Swiss rifles - '89, 93, Kadet.) Has anyone else ever seen a Cooey Canadian rear sight on a .22 trainer?

Comments

• slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like break free collector in bores and inside working parts. A good paste wax like the old standby, Johnsons Paste Wax for floors works well on external metal and wood. The Smithsonian uses a high teck version on their metal items.No matter what you do it is a good idea to over everything at LEAST once a year. Another coat of wax at that time would not be a bad idea.
  • Kari PragerKari Prager Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All right, except for Slumlord, (thanks!)storage of your treasured guns isn't a very exciting topic, but it is an important one I think.
    Here's a question for all you ex-military guys:
    Here's another question related to RIG grease, which won hands-down on another forum.
    I found a 1 lb. can of military issue grease in my garage that looks exactly like
    RIG. It is identified as "GREASE RIFLE, MIL-G-46003(ORD) & AM2, it is made by the BG&O company, KC MO (Kansas City, Missouri/). Does anyone know if this is the same stuff packaged for the military? Nobody seems to have RIG any more in our area.
    Thanks,
    Kari
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Depends.

A nitrogen filled airtight box would be great.

For us mere mortals, Lee liquid alox makes a good metal sealant and dries pretty well so it won't get into the wood once dry.

BTW, I am impressed with your choice of guns, being a fan of milsurps myself... but I do shoot my Swiss 1889 with suitable loads and brass trimmed to 7.5X53.5... very nice shooter too!
  • ringoringo Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen and own a Cooey-Ross sight.

quote:Has anyone else ever seen a Cooey Canadian rear sight on a .22 trainer?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/ringo338/04.jpg
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/ringo338/65612592.jpg
  • Kari PragerKari Prager Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ringo, That is exactly like the one on my BSA/Enfield #2MkIV!
    I've never seen another.
    My 1910 Mk III Ross has an almost identical sight, but the base is different. Do you know if your rifle was Canadian issue, or was this something that Parker-Hale or one of the other suppliers of target equipment sold? I bought another one some time ago from Numrich Arms,
    thinking from the picture it was a 1910 Ross sight, and never figured out what it was till I bought this Enfield .22 trainer.
    Thanks for the information and the pictures.
    Kari Prager
  • ringoringo Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a real compression of history and how this sight came to be.
    This sight was manufactured during WW1 because Canadian troops were using the Ross rifle. The use of this sight on a Lee Enfield 22 trainer acquainted the soldier with the similar sights on a Ross 303 issue rifle. The Lee Enfield 22 trainer was designated SMLE No.2 MKIV. The Ross rifle did not do well in trench warfare conditions and was replaced by the Lee Enfield. After WW11, not to let all the trainers in this configuration go to waste, they were issued to the cadet's to train with. The trainers were usually BSA/Enfield's with this sight.

With a very scarce rear aperture sight known as the Canadian 10A aperture sight manufactured by H.W. Cooey Machine and Arms Company of Cobourg, Ontario. It is properly marked H.W.C. This aperture sight is fully adjustable for windage and elevation.