In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question #2 ~~~~ Tumblers.

I just pulled my old tumbler out of a twenty+ year 'sleep' and I think I'll buy a new one.

I want a big one because we have a lot of .45 & 9mm brass to run through every week, or so - with three shooters in the family.

You guys did so well on the 1200 advice I'll roll again! Any tips/things to watch for on a new tumbler? ... any favorite medium out there? Would appreciate any guidance for this ole
Zip Van Winkle reloader!

Comments

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If money is not the primary concern I really think the RCBS Sidewinder is the best one out there. I have one and the thing I really like about it is that you can use dry or wet media in it. By wet I mean poor some water in there, some dish soap and let er' rip for 15 minutes, after that throw the brass into the oven for ten minutes or so to get the water evaporated from the brass, and your in business. I also don't know if noise is a consideration but it makes alot less noise than the typical vibratory tumbler. As for media I often just do the water and dish soap thing, but if I don't do that usually I like crushed walnut.

Here's a link to the RCBS web site, yes it will set you back alot more than a normal tumbler but it has been worth it to me. My garage wall where my tumbler rests is the wall where my roommates bedroom is, I can tumble brass all night without waking him up.

http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=4&s2=3&s3=24
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Medium walnut for the initial cleaning. Deprime/size and then into the fine corn.

I do not reload the amount of ammo that you do though.

But, I have 1100 cases for my 223, so, when I am reloading the next couple hundred, there is 600 cases size, trimmed, and primed, so time is not a problem.
  • Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Dillon is a must for the tops. So Quiet you can`t hear em run.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Dillin make big'uns?
  • Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YEP BIG VERY BIG
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If price is truely no object, Burr Bench makes some larger tumblers, IIRC there smallest one easly holds 500 pcs of 50BMG/batch (who knows how much that works out to in 9mm brass?).
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=16&min=0&dyn=1&

Dillon is the SHIZZLE. Sorry felt like going ebonics on you folks there.

If you need something big and bad this is the tumbler for you.
  • Options
    RossRoss Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I looked up shizzel in Wikipedia, but still do not know if your use of the term is pejorative or not.
    Regards from Darkest California,
    Ross
  • Options
    edited November -1
    HAHA.

Ross, it is a term the famous SNOOP DOGGY DOG uses.

The SHIZZLE = The bababooey
  • Options
    RossRoss Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ContacFront,
    I'm sure out of the loop.

"Baba Booey" was spoken at the end of the call to signal the host that they had been fooled.

Do you mean that the Dillon is a sucker buy?
    Still in the dark,
    Ross

Oh, I found it.

For sheezay, fo sheezy, fo'shizzy (3 of 3 entries) (2002
    Fall 2003: For certain; an affirmative response: X: "You going to the game?" Y: "Fo sheezy!"
    Sorry about that.
    Ross
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ROSS, you got it bud. The SHIZZLE is a good thing.

Your lesson on ebonics for today.

But on a serious note the Dillon is a kick butt unit. Me and my bud use it for the large caliber brass like 300win to the 50BMG.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Zipper, I have the big Dillion Magnum FL 2000 and it is something like 20 years old and counting. I used it a lot more when I was shooting Combat Pistol competition in the 80's. It gets little use nowadays as I also have 2 small tumblers also and mostly use them these days. I no longer shoot competition. Dillion rebuilt my 2000 once (I burned the motor up on it as I used it 2 or 3 days a week for the first several years I had it. No argument from Dillion--just fixed it and sent it back to me--no charge. I have had as many as 400 .45's in it at one time and it cleaned them to a bright finish. I also had one of the big crank separators for it but have since gotten rid of it. My recommendation would be the big Dillion if you have a lot of brass to clean.
  • Options
    duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a Lyman 2200 with AutoFlo that has suited me fine for cleaning several hundred rds of .45ACP brass at a time. It's easy to use and easy to sort the brass from the media afterwards with the AutoFlo feature.
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the big dillon too...But it's a pain in the butt to unload!
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member