In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

max. range of a .223

Does any one know what would be the max. range for a .223 loaded with a Seirra 52gr with 21 gr. of IMR 4198. The gun I'am shooting with is a savage 12fv. I'am shooting in a field that is 450 yards long, so far have only made it to 300. Will it reach across the field, not shooting at game just paper. Thanks

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bullet can make it there.

Just what information are you looking for?

Bullet drop from 300 to 400 yards is a great deal more than from 200 to 300.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends on the angle of departure from the barrel. Yes it can reach the 450 yard mark and further if the angle is above level. That's why the warning is put on boxes of .22 LR ammunition.
  • needforspeedneedforspeed Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'am talking about acurracy, will it be accurate or will the bullet start drifting
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    needforspeed,

While I use a different load for accuracy than what you described, YES! the .223 is very accurate out to 450 yds. With any bullet and any wind you are going to need to adjust for that wind. Might as well start practicing now. If you can, spot for each other and it will help you gauge the wind better. -good luck
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    needforspeed,

While I use a different load for accuracy than what you described, YES! the .223 is very accurate out to 450 yds. With any bullet and any wind you are going to need to adjust for that wind. Might as well start practicing now. If you can, spot for each other and it will help you gauge the wind better. -good luck
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At that distance the real skills of the shooter come into play. If you understand wind drift and bullet drop you can do well. If these important things are not taken into consideration, you will miss.

Practie makes perfect.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a hunting buddy who has made it into the 800 yd club in the varmint hunters association with a 223.If you know your trajectory,have a range adjusting scope and practice,practice,practice a 1000 yd kill on varmints is possible. he' s been trying but not made it happen yet.
    he has a scope that some company reworked the vertical adjustments to elevate much more than a factory scope. he can count the clicks and dial in for the yardage. he is an out of the ordinary marksman and when we go out prairie dog shooting he only wants 400 yd or more shots.
    the secret is equipment and practice.