In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

radway green 4895

colt423colt423 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
any one used this powder for 5.56 and how was it????

Comments

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used IMR4895 And H4895 powders for a lot of years. I haven't heard of "radway green".
  • colt423colt423 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suppose to burn like imr 4895 is british military surplus powder
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the loads I see result in reduced velocity and usually compressed charges. IMR 4895 is not the best choice for 5.56/223. Keep in mind that military surplus powder might or might not be as uniform as commercial cannister reloading powder so extra caution is needed.
    edited November -1
    thank you very much that was info i was looking for!!
  • wolleywolley Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been shooting it in my 223 and it works well for heavier bullets.
    Couldn't find a load that worked well for anything lighter than 69g.
    Tried it in my 30-06 and it shoots like a double based (ball) powder there.
    Hang fires and inconsistent pressure.
    I think it needs a small case with greater than 90% fill to work well.
  • shoots2muchshoots2much Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried RG 4895 in 30-06 loads, It cronos hotter than IMR or H 4895 and produces large fire balls at the muzzle, that tells me, despite data that says otherwise RG 4895 burns slower.
    It works but I don't like it, and am looking to sell my 8 pound jug at the next show.
    edited November -1
    Thank you so much guys this in fo has kept me from spending money on the wrong thing. I buy 55gr fmjby by bulk so it is not a powder for me. was good buy is why i was considering it. thanks again!!
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might look at RamShot Exterminator. It is pretty economical, burns clean, and my loads shoot accurately.