In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone Use Brasso in Tumbler?

krazyshotkrazyshot Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
Would Brasso work in a tumbler to shine up brass as well as or not as well as the polishing compound made for tumblers?

Comments

• PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    It will make it shine, but it will cause it to crack sooner. Use a commercial product such as the polish that Midway sells.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Yes. The ammonia evaporates.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Don't use brasso has ammonia not good for brass. Go buy the cheapest big bag of rice and try that.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the Midway stuff. I've never tumbled without a polish so I can't compare using it to not using it. They don't seem to get the shine everyone talks about though.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • farfromnormalfarfromnormal Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    FLITZ. I have been using the Flitz Tumbler/Media Additive for years and have found it to do an excellent job. I tumble everything I load with it every time it is reloaded. Makes for nice looking ammo.
  • GigabitGigabit Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    CLP was recommended in another post (their weapon wipes get the invisible grime off really well, but you do not end up with shiny brass, by any measure).

Any thoughts about the "WD40 Syndrome," where WD40 has purportedly been known to eventually work past the primer, neutralizing it?

Also, is there anything but urban legend on tumbling live ammo (ie. breaking down the powder, causing higher pressure)?

Good stuff. Keep it coming. Thanx.

- Dave
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Gigabit
    CLP was recommended in another post (their weapon wipes get the invisible grime off really well, but you do not end up with shiny brass, by any measure).

Any thoughts about the "WD40 Syndrome," where WD40 has purportedly been known to eventually work past the primer, neutralizing it?

Also, is there anything but urban legend on tumbling live ammo (ie. breaking down the powder, causing higher pressure)?

Good stuff. Keep it coming. Thanx.

- Dave

Google "ground walnut shells" You can get 50 pounds in a box for cheap. it seems to clean better than rice. I stopped using rice because it got stuck in the flash holes too often.

Avoid any ammonia like the plague on brass. It will make the brass brittle.

I would avoid oils and CLP on the media. Get anybodys brass polishing compound designed for reloading. Add it to the ground walnut shells and you will get nice pretty brass.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes, tumbling loaded rounds will abrade the coatings on the powder and change burn rate to faster. I don't know how much tumbling it would take as I have never run a test, but the coatings will abrade away. If you want loaded rounds shiny,..polish by hand or use a power drill case holder, and use XXX steel wool on the case while it is rotated by the drill.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Use a ultra sonic and get em really clean and shiney without the dust.....
  • GigabitGigabit Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrbruce
    Use a ultra sonic and get em really clean and shiney without the dust.....

? (example?)