In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thinking of a new 300

I am going to buy a new 300 but cant decide between a Weatherby Mark V accumark in 300 Wby. or the Remington Sendero in 300 RUM or should I even consider a 30-378 Wby ?

I recently sold a Weatherby Vangaurd in 300 Wby it just wasn't the gun I expected it to be

I guess I could buy both[}:)]

Comments

• Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What ever happened to the good ol 300 win Mag?
    the two Wby's i have are very finiky, 257 specially.
    I have a 300 win. and my brother has a 300 WSM and they where very easy to work loads up for. In my experience the Wby's are to picky at least for my taste.

to each there own

good luck

edited fur spellin [:D]
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I agree with Odawgp. I would go with the Win Mag or the WSM. They are much more economical to load for or buy ammo for. Plus there are a lot more rifles out there to choose from in those two varieties.

If you really need the extra velocity that you get with the Whetherbys or the RUM, I would go with the RUM. My reasoning is that it is not belted, therefore you will probably get more loadings out of the brass. Either that or go with one of the Lazzeroni cartridges. You are going to pay more for the rifle, but they are great shooters.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Question for you, how many shots are you planing to take at game beyond 600 yards? Beyond 400 Yards? I really love the 30-378, but only as a long range hunting cartridge, if you just want the biggest and baddest of the .30's then buy one of each. If your looking for what you need to get the job done then there are much better offerings available such as the above mentioned 300 win mag.

So what are you planning to do with this bruser?
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    Elk and Moose hunting

I did also consider the 300 win mag and the 30-378 was really a passing thought the brass is to expensive I do have 280 rounds of 300 wby brass I just wasn't happy with the vangaurd I had

I really think that I am going to take a good look at The 7 mm Rem Mag
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i agree with those who've replied above suggesting more economical common choices like the 300 Win Mag. I've had 2 and loved 'em both.

look at reloading manuals: how much extra velocity do you actually get for all that extra powder (recoil and blast) in a weatherby or RUM? not much! and what does that little extra velocity translate to in bullet drop at even 500 yards? meaningless, in practical hunting terms. go for efficiency and availability!

personally I think the 7 mm rem mag is unworthy of it's popularity. had one, disliked it. again, look at the charts--it's ballistics are hardly different from a 30-06. not bad, but not special.

sounds like you're just itching to buy another rifle :-). hey, that's just fine; I have more than I need too. if so, maybe try something interesting, like a brand you haven't bought yet with interesting features like a great trigger, or a historic efficient cartridge that's actually fun to shoot, like a 7x57 or 6.5x55?

just some thoughts