In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Inside neck lube??

craig 25-06craig 25-06 Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
Any super dooper tips on what to use for inside neck lube?
I`ve tried graphite and mica, not impressed.
Rocky and others. Do you think a small amount of Imperial wax would contaminate the powder?

Regards to all, Craig

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Lee. It truly dries and doesn't contaminate once dry.

Just be sure to let dry.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Redding make a dry lube that I'm thinking of trying. It's on a ceramic media.
  • 264fan264fan Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep a can of Imperial just for necks. Dip every 3rd or 4th neck about 1/8 inch into the wax, push straight in pull straight out wipe off excess if any exists. Been doing this for many years, never had a problem. Used to do every case but seems like there is enough residual to do 2 or 3 necks before they start to drag.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rsnyder55
    Redding make a dry lube that I'm thinking of trying. It's on a ceramic media.

+1
  • CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    I use a Lyman mica powder. I heard imperial dry is pretty nice, but havnt tried it. I just dip do a quick dip in the mica powder and carry on.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Lee lube and Dillon dies. Haven't had any problems, other than its rather time consuming lubing each individual case.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Hornady One Shot - I orient my cases so some lube gets into the mouth when I spray - roll cases 180 and spray again. Then let'em dry a few minutes. Been doing it many years with rifle and pistol- never a problem.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    never lubed inside a case neck in my life.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    RCBS spray lube works for me.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    Astounding!

Not an issue with pistol or short necks like on .223 I grant you, but with something long- i.e. 30/40, even 30-06- if I don't it either pulls the expander out of the die or failing that, stretches the case rather noticably. Any tricks?
    edited November -1
    I guess I mis-spoke,....every so often I would dab some inside with a que-tip and that lubed the ball for quite a lot of loads. I have never done that as a step on each case, more like maybe a few times per 50rnds.

remember also, I polish my expander balls on the majority of my dies by chucking them in a drill and turning them in 600grit. They tend to slide in and out much easier.

and then again,...many of my dies don't have expanders on them as I am using bushing dies or have removed the ball on purpose.

too many sets of dies to keep up with[;)]
  • grandmangrandman Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JustC, I have polished the ball on some of my dies but I have never removed an expander ball. how do you expand the case, and which cases do you not expand?
    edited November -1
    removing the expander ball is the same thing as using a bushing sizing die. The bushing dies don't have expanders, they use the bushing size to give the amount of neck tension you desire.

I don't expand necks (or try not to) in my tight chambered, match barrels. In factory chambers/barrels, I will most of the time expand the necks.
  • ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad had taken an aluminum 35mm film container, cut an artist brush off and epoxied it to underside of screw cap. Into this container is black graphite. Sort of like a large nail polish bottle, only for graphite. I dip brush into graphite and push into case neck. Been working fine for 35 plus years now. I got a pound of black graphite from my locksmith so I'm set for my reloading days![:D]
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC

ME NEITHER

I have a feeling JustC may have a few years on me [:o)]
  • Gene PoolGene Pool Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a case neck lubricator from Frankford Arsenal:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=197010

By pal who shoots (and wins) in bench matches got me on to it. Just dip the case mouth in about 1/16" of mica, then go up and down on the brush 5 times. He never cleans a case neck, so I don't either. He tells me leaving it with powder residue gives consistency, which is important.

Hope this helps.

Gene