In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Why didnt anyone tell me reloading was so cheap?

PieceofpaperPieceofpaper Member Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just started reloading, I heard it would save you money, but I had no idea it was thsi cheap. The cheapest .357 magnums I found at all the gun shops/stores ive been to was $14.99 for a box of 50, which is $.30 per round. Now that ive gotten everything to reload .357 magnums, I see that it only costs around $.08 to reload each round. I knew reloading would save you money and allow you to shoot more.... but I didnt know it would save THAT much money.

Is it like this for anyone else?

Comments

• CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's that cheap for everyone. The more you buy in bulk, the more you save.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Wait until you get into rifle reloading...it takes a whole lot of ammo to pay for all the equipment you are going to end up acquiring.[;)]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now you need to scrounge lead from tire shops and cast your own bullets. Nothing beter than shooting bugeye groups with YOUR bullets loaded by YOU.

Be safe, ask questions.

Happy shooting.
  • ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh man !! Now someone else knows our secret.[:D]
  • bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ummm, because you didn't ask! [:D][;)]

Now that you've found out how inexpensive it can be, wait until you find out how much your accuracy improves!

Big Al (see, you've got even more to look forward to.... )
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Now you can learn the other tricks of reloading as cheaply as possible. Be a brass hound by watching friends that don't reload throw there fired cases away and you grab them up before they get cool. Watch the ads from the big component suppliers such as Graf's, Midway, Widner's, etc. and look for bulk and closeout sales. If I spot a deal, I usually post it here. I found a deal from Midway several months ago where they had a bulk buy of .308 cal Speer bullets that had several different bullets mixed together and I ended up with a bunch of 32 cent bullets for 4 cent each. Go to gunshows and look for people that are getting rid of bullets, primers, dies, powder, etc.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to your local outdoor range(s).

I drove to mine one day this spring. The only one there. Did some rifle and handgun shooting. Looked down to find my brass from my 40....Went home with over a thousand casings from 223-45ACP. Spent about 6hrs up there only 2hrs of shooting. Brass can be your most expensive component. Until you get aboud 8-10 loads out of a single case. Pick up brass anywhere you can.

Also check Ebay and on the auctions here.

I won 2000 S&B 1x fired 40cal cases for $11 on here a few months ago. I can't believe what a steal that was.

Always be on the lookout for deals on any component. If you reload enough, don't be afraid of dropping $100+ on an 8lb "keg" of powder, or huge boxes(2000+) of bullets. Primers are cheap, buy in bulk anyways.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haz Mat shipping is killing me on primers and percussion caps. I used to buy primers 1000 at a time, at that rate shipping doubles the cost of primers. I am about out of small pistol and large rifle primers but I can't decide how many to buy. A thousand rifle primers will last me a long time but the Haz Mat shipping is 20 bucks no matter how many I buy.

Tim
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Do a search, I posted a spreadsheet previously.....reloading pays you just over $20/hour. I primarily reload for 6 calibers - 357 mag, 44 mag, 223, 6.5x55 (Swedish Mauser), 270, & 7.5x55 (K31 Swiss).

But, remember....in just a little bit of time and practice, your reloads will be better than anything you can buy.

So, IF you compare prices QUALITY over the counter ammo to your reloads, you have quite a bit of savings. I am not talking about $45/20 rifle loads....or the $120/1000 223...but like bullet with like/the same bullet.

Be careful about range brass, do you know the history of it? I stay away from it. I do NOT want a 44 mag coming apart in my hands, eyes, forearm, chest, etc.....
  • RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi guys (Robert from Tallahassee, Florida)

I reload 500 magnums for about 14 cents apiece--beats the heck out of $1.50-3.00 per round!

dtk-- I buy primers 5000-10000 at a time and gunpowder 40lb at a time to "dilute" the hazmat fees. Gunpowder and primers will keep for quite a few years if stored properly. Also, now that your reloading you will undoubtedly run into other reloaders at the shooting range so consider splitting an order (and hazmat fee) to save a few bucks--just remember to save your powder jugs. You can also save harder-to-find brass for each other. It's a good way to build up some friends in the shooting sports. Lastly, if you only want to try a pound of a particular powder you might pay around $21-26/lb for it off the shelf but still avoid the $20.00 hazmat fees--Anyhow, Welcome to reloading![:D]
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Rusty

I had hoped to get one of my buddys to split an order with me but they are all stocked up. I started reloading more than 30 years ago and just recently restarted after a 10 year break. I am currently using my stock that is more than 10 years old but was appropriately stored. I still have more than a thousand small rifle and more than a thousand small magnum pistol primers but less than 100 small pistol and large rifle primers. Powder jugs are getting low and there have been a lot of changes in the powder world that make me want to try some new stuff. I agree with you for a pound of powder for trials I will try a local shop. I am fortunate now and live where I can buy supplies at a couple places within a 5 minute drive. When I started it was more than an hours drive and it what I wanted was unusual it had to be ordered.

Tim
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PieceofPaper,

You say the same thing as everyone else who gets into it.

One, you can make a better round. A better or as good a round as what comes off the top end of the shelf, not the bottom end. You will find very little ammo that will give MOA at 300 yds or beyond 'off the shelf.

Two, by saving 7-15 bucks a box you save an incredible amount of money if you shoot a fair amount. For example: If you buy match ammo at $20.00 a box or produce it yourself by buying in bulk and loading good powder you will save about 15 bucks a box. It takes me around $.25 a shell to reload quality ammo. I bought Nosler Custom Competition 168 gr. .308 dia. bullets for $31.00 on sale for a 250 pack. 42 gr. of RE15 @$18.99 + tx comes out to $.12 for the powder and a penny and a half for the primer. -good luck, as I know you'll now enjoy shooting that much more.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Saving money is not the only benefit
    realized, I find it quite relaxing
    and therapeutic.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be a little cautious about picking up brass. I have been reloading for a LONG time and the only brass I leave lay is on its last legs. If you SEE the person shoot new brass and leave (happens all the time) have at it. Some people will gather their brass, just to be polite, with the intention of throwing it away in the trash. If you see a person with a newer gun and a new box of ammo,chances are they are not a handloader. Ask them for it. Also watch WIN CLEAN brass it takes a small primer (.45 acp). Since brass is the reuseable component here and often the most expensive, I am very particular about mine, We are here to have fun and be cheap but not get blown up. Welcome aboard!