In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Savage......none better

I was wondering what people think about savage, is there a rifle that has better out of the box accuracy. Or a rifle that will beat there price and still be of quality. I have just purchases a Savage .223 in 12Fv and it is great. If any body where thinking about purchasing one i would highly recommend it. I gunsmith about 30 miles west of where I live (that is highly used and highly spoken of) said that I Savage would shoot with or better then one of his custom rifles. I thought that that was a pretty bold statement. Opinions please

Comments

• needforspeedneedforspeed Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    And also does anybody think that the price of a savage rifle will go up. I mean with all there new advances like the accu triger, and also the production of there slik new rifle the 14 an 114 classic that is as good as looking as a Remington 700, and is cheaper.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    I purchased a Savage 12FV in 223 as well. Synthetic stock & single shot.

Tack driver!!!

Do you reload?

Mine will shoot 40 Nosler BT's to 69 gr Sierra HPBT...very accurately.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Savage 12FV is tied for top accuracy in my stable with my custom 7x57. I spent $380.00(not accurtrigger) after taxes on it and over $1300.00 on my custom. Both shoot same hole accuracy at 100 yds.(groups in the .1's), both have shot sub 3/4" at 300 yds. All groups were with handloads. It isn't benchrest accuracy but it's as good as anything off the shelf today.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    For the money, you can't find a better gun, in my opinion.
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage is the first rifle mass produced with "button" rifling. That is the main cause of their accuracy. For the money I don't believe there is a batter out of the box buy. The early rifles suffered from an atrociuos trigger, but could be easily fixed.
    While I don't own one personally, I am keeping my eye opened for one in 25-06 to do some tack driving with.[^]
  • joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a .243 in a model 12, .223 and 22-250 all three are a sub moa and the .243 shoots .5 inch with handloads, .223 is .75 and the 22-250 is still in the trial stages with the handloads, but I sure when I find the mix it too will shoot around .75 inch.
  • WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My next purchase will be a savage in .223 or 22-250.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Their prices have been increasing significantly in the last few years...so yes, you can expect them to continue to go up. They are tack drivers, and as someone else pointed out, this is probably b/c they are button rifled. The only draw back on the Savages is their finish...they are a little rough. IMO Remingtons shoot just as well and have a far better finish...not to mention that the 700 action is a much better platform to build off of for a future custom rig. If I wasn't going to buy a Remington, I'd probably buy a Savage.
  • deceedecee Member Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it says "Made in Canada" on it , it might.
    Only because the Canadian dollar has appreciate so much compared to the American dollar
  • ebel_03ebel_03 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i've got several savages. i find them to be extremely accurate rifles. will shoot as well as my brothers cooper or browning. The only thing about savages is that they don't feed quite as reliably as some guns. i shoot prarie dogs with my savages all day, but i like something that feeds a little better before i go after that trophy buck. and as for the accutrigger...i'm still undecided, takes a little getting used to, and i think i'd rather feel the trigger when i reach for it than the little "safety trigger" or whatever they call it.
    edited November -1
    Consult my "thank you" post in this section...I meant it.

I shot my first, sub 1" group, Thursday night with my Savage model 12, single shot, 223. 60 grain Hornady V Max's with H4198. Measures 0.750"!!!

I have been close with a couple other loads, but there is no debating this one. My jaw dropped when I saw the target.
  • young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have a 12fv single shot in .204.....cna't wait to get her out and see what she'll do
    edited November -1
    Young-n-SavageSmart! LOL!

Is yours in the synthetic stock as well? Gotta post a pic!!!

Here is mine....

Savage12BB223.jpg
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCorvers
    Savage is the first rifle mass produced with "button" rifling. That is the main cause of their accuracy. For the money I don't believe there is a batter out of the box buy. The early rifles suffered from an atrociuos trigger, but could be easily fixed.
    While I don't own one personally, I am keeping my eye opened for one in 25-06 to do some tack driving with.[^]

Not this Savage 112 in 25-06[:D]
    savage2506.jpg
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have gained a LOT of respect for savages shooting against them recently this past year. They are accurate rifles,..no doubt about it. BUT,..the rem 700 is still waiting to be dethroned[:D]

544204f0.jpg

100_0949.jpg

The majority of my competiton were savage heavy barreled rifles,..that speaks for itself. They are awesome shooters and this match was settled by no more than the dispersion that 1 target can provide. They have come a long, long way. Savage has taken a great step in changing the twist rates to accomodate todays larger pills, and this showed up on the second day when I was stuck with 50-52gr pills from my 1 :14 twist and the savages with their 1:12 or 1:9 barrels were able to run heavy pills into the heavy winds we had to shoot through. They got me at 200yds because they had the twist advantage[8] On a windless day,..who knows,..but in the wind (15mph) at 200yds, the rem 1:14 twist was lacking in ability. I had to work hard to make my points,....watching flags and guessing wind speed. Savage has a firm grip on the journey they have to face,..I hope the others will follow suit.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good oob accuracy, medium poor fit and finish, and until the model 14/114, they are to my eye, not very attractive rifles. They are also lacking in variety of calibers offered. Long as I stick to the 99s, though I am happy with my Savages.
  • 37rangemaster37rangemaster Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i love my savage is the second most accurate rifle i own second only to my remington model 37 rangemaster...heres a pic of mine its a model 112BVSS-S in .220 swift
    savage2.jpg