In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

40 Cal 155 grain bullets

I loaded up forty rounds of 155 grain bullets, using Clays powder.I used 3.6 grains of powder.Most of the rounds would not cycle , the spent shell got hung up on its way out.Do you think this will stop if I use 3.9 grains of clay power?I was shooting my XD with the five inch barrel.I've had no problems shooting 165 grain bullets and 3.9 grains of Clays.

Comments

• Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my hodgdon data book states that 3.6 grains is a starting load at 854 fps{132pf}, with a max load of 4.0 at 942fps{146pf} at an oal of 1.125, while it may not sounds like much consider most of your .40S&W factory loads are running closer to 1,000 fps and higher with a pf of 170 or more your recoil spring reflects this, can't hurt to try your 3.9 or a 4.0 load
  • Options
    victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    The spent shells were only traveling 6 to 12 inches high.They usually travel 15 to 20 inchs high and two to three foot to the right.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello all semi auto pistols rely on the recoil impluse to function the pistol the recoil impluse can vary due to weight of bullet and how much powder as the weight of bullet gets less you need more powder another factor is the shooter and how rigid the shooters arm wrist and body are If your shells are just getting out the gun you most likely need increase in powder but with all fast burning powders go slow.