In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pacific Durachrome Dies - 357 Mag??

Purchased a used set (cannot tell that they are used).

Need to know the order of use. Dies are marked as follows:

357 Mag NO. 1 x (threaded, but no threaded plug installed)
357 Mag NO. 2 x (has decapping pin/case mouth expander)
357 Mag NO. 3 x (has bullet seating plug)

Is this the order? The NO. 1 seems to be rather tight for a sizing die.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Comments

• ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are they carbide dies? If not that would explain the sizing die being 'tight'.You'll see a ring at the mouth of the die that is a different color than the rest of the die if it's carbide.If not you MUST lube the cases or risk getting one stuck in there.
    Sounds like they are in the right order for using.

Throckmorton SASS #23149
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have been using these for 30 years. No 1 is your sizer and you use it first. Pacific is probably the only die I can think that de-primes and flairs the case mouth in the same step, your no 2. You seat and crimp with the no 3. Pacific was bought out by Hornady. I am still using a Pacific press that I bought in the mid-70's. These could be plain steel or carbide. It is easy to see the carbide ring in the no 1 die if it has one.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an old set of RCBS that bell and deprime at the same time...
    I thought I had an original.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help. Dies are "Durachrome" - I believe I have to used sizing lube.

They work ok...quite a bit of arm effort though.
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dcloco, have you ever tried any of the Imperial sizing wax. It works great and not as messy as the oil base products. You can wipe the wax off with a towel instead of having to go thru a cleaning and drying step.