In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

IDPA : I scored lousy but learned alot

alex valex v Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
The good news is that I made no safety violations, that is my number one priority. Not so good news is that on two stages I holstered the weapon when I was done shootin'. Its a habit I picked up at a class I took where they were teaching us how to qualify on a particular target: " Draw on command, two shots to center of mass, reholster." About a bazillion times. If it had been a sanctioned match I would have been DQ'd for it. That same training gets me when multiple targets are presented: everybody gets one before anyone gets two. I know that in my head, but darn if I didn't give the first one two and earn a +3 second procedural. I don't have a problem with that, it makes sense to me, that is, give ALL the bad guys something to think about , then clean up. I purposely went SLOWER this time, and observed more. The guys with the really good times are shooting as they move. I don't know how to do that; I move, stop, engage, move.
I'll work on that later.
Alex

Comments

• victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    But did you enjoy the shooting?
  • alex valex v Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh yea, can't wait for the next match !
    Alex
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    as a ssp master, and an so let me give a bit of advice on re-holstering

first, there is no time on how fast you re-holster, when your last shot is fired take your finger out of the trigger guard, and "freeze", wait for the commands, do not get ahead of the so, your adrenaline is so high even the most experienced shooter can make a mistake, when i am ran through a stage by a fellow so, who knows damn good and well i know what i am doing, i make him go through the motions, not always on purpose i have just trained myself to go into slow motion after the shots are fired, when you get to a bigger match, and your nerves and adrenaline are at their peak, you will need to rely on your training more than conscious thought, so start now, you will get gigged at a big match for that

i remember my first time, i just didn't want to shoot my foot off, it felt like i just jumped out of a plane, what a rush, welcome to the addiction
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no D.Q. rule against hot holstering. If you holster your gun loaded after completing the CoF, as S.O. I will just make you draw it, unload it, show empty, and then let you reholster. That assuming you didn't point it in an unsafe direction in the process, which I HAVE seen and HAVE disqualified shooters for.

Just calm down and follow the match procedures.

However, I WILL give you a P.E. for stopping to fire when you are supposed to be shooting on the move. You don't have to move fast, and you don't have to move far, but you do have to be moving when the gun goes off.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, safety is always #1.

You learn by doing.
    And your.....doing....it. [:D]

You will learn to shoot as you move.
    Heck, you may be running and shooting in no time. [;)]

Thanks for the report.