In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

removing military crimp

What us the best way to remove the primer crimp? Forster makes a crimp remover for my case trimmer does any one have any experience with this tool? or is there another tool that is recommened?

Comments

• Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    How do you remove primer crimp in military brass?

dgac
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    So far I have used a hand reamer for a bit then I decied to speed it up by putting it in a drill. It works ok, but if you plan on doing many I would suggest doing something else. I then steped up to a RCBS Swager for my single stage press. This combo works very well and makes things pretty uniform to work with. Last year I got a RCBS power case trimmer and so I picked up a Prep Center too. I just bought a Military crimp remover for the Prep Center. I have not had a chance to use this one yet. I have about 1000 .223 cases left to do which is not too bad. I have about 6000 .308 that I need to do and that will be the killer part.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer swaged over reamed. IMO swaging does a better and more uniform job and does not remove to much brass allowing for more loads before scrapping. I have done thousands of 223's on the RCBS swaging tool and a whole lot more on the Dillon super swager. If you are going to do a bunch the Dillon is the way to go.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have done thousands of 5.56 and 7.62 with my Dillon swager. It works great and leaves a smooth edge around the pocket to ease the new primer in.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for the Dillon swager.
    The RCBS tool works well, but for quanity use the Dillon is the way to go.
    The only setback is the initial price, but with lots of cases to do it will seem like a bargain by the time you're done.
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I found a solution to this problem I ordered 500 rounds of new lapua brass from a friend at his cost no more military brass for me I hate those crimps it sucks removing them
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Dillon is not cheap but if you buy one, you'll never look back. Its great.
  • Options
    tatercatstatercats Member Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for the dillon