In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Just started reloading.

tombiasitombiasi Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
I have been shooting for many years but just started reloading.
My question: I have the ability to measure powder very accurately but how accurate matters?
If I load .45 ACP with 5 grains will I see any difference at 5.1 grains?

Comments

• bk_punisherbk_punisher Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive heard that it matters. Me myself for shooting bottles or my "plinker" 5 grains with my progressive press is enough. Im sure it varys 1 grain plus or minus. But i dont notice it at the range. i it depends on what you plan to do with it.[:D]
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Depends. .1 gr out of a large capacity rifle case, probably not; when you are only dealing with a few grains though, it might matter IF you are a very good shooter using a very accurate gun.

Myself, I just usually blast for fun, in which case I don't measure powder at all, past what comes out of the dispenser (mine is accurate to +/- .2 grains)and that is perfectly fine. If I were using a rest, then perhaps it would matter more.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello .1 grain in a 5.0 grain pistol load would be 10 times the error of .1 grain in a 50 grain rifle load. That said .1 grain + or - on a 45 ACP load is fine for all but the most picky target shooters Some powder measures are better then others .The great thing about a Star progressive press is the powder measure is one of the best ever designed.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have some fun and amuse yourself while answering your own question. Yank the bullets on a few factory rounds and check out the difference. You will be surprised. 0.1 gr is nothing. 0.3 is nothing. Don't fret. go shoot.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tombiasi,

+1 on what B17-P51 said. .1 grain will be the difference in super accuracy. For a normal shooter it won't make a bit of difference.
    The thing to look out for is when you pick a powder and work up the max with it and .1 will make a difference...then don't shoot it. Weigh every load when you get to max pressue on a given powder. But, unless you are at max you don't need to worry about .1 gr. of powder.

-good luck