In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Electronic Scale

flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm tired of using the balance beam scale-I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. [;)] I want to speed thing up a bit. I'm not a competition shooter so I don't need anything fancy. I also don't want a super expensive one. I'm thinking in the $100-120 range. I think I should be able to get a decent one for that. I am also leaning towards one that can be battery operated. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the choices out there. Graf's seemed to have a decent selection. Any brands to stay away from? I can't imagine there are any major difference in the operation of them between brands. I've used several very expensive electronic scales before, never for reloading, so that won't be anything new. So what would you recomend in the $100-120 range? Thanks.

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I like my Lyman, it is not that sensitive to air flow and doesn't need recalibrated very often.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I've had a RCBS Range Master since they came out, and I'm very happy with it.
    W.D.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many are actually made by the same folks. Find one for the price you want and the features,(like battery operation) that you want and you shouldn't have any problem.
  • flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I figured most were made by the same company, seems most things are these days. Natchez has some on sale. $90 for a Lyman 1000 XP, $95 for the RCBS Range Master 750. Still looking around.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello some people swear at them[:(!] and other swear by them [^]I have a PACT that I have used for years with never a problem [:D]Pact also make many of the other brands. Your mileage may vary.
  • konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two. A Range Master 750 and a Lyman 1500 XP. Both have given me satisfactory results
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the PACT combo unit, and love it. I recalibrate before use each time just because it makes me feel better. I also leave it plugged in so no warm-up time.
  • rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of the newer pact scales. Its about 4 months old & man using that thing is sooooooo much better than the ole balance beam act! I'm not sure what "Just" means about warm up time maybe thats in an older unit. Mine has an on/off switch & an AC plug so it can be used with or without batteries.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rg666, they used to talk in the owners manuals about plugging the scale in and allowing a 30min warm-up time,..whatever that meant. I figured if I left it on,..then no problem[:D] Mine has the newer software upgrade,...maybe 4yrs old and it has been great.
  • rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh i forgot to say that in the manual it says keep all portable phones away from your scale because it will drive it haywire.